1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Power Adapter Problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by momsabeast, Jan 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. momsabeast

momsabeast Thread Starter

I have an Acer 3690 laptop. Recently the original power adapter went bad. I went to a local computer company and had them order me a new one. The day I got it home and plugged it in the adapter smoked and the plastic split showing bare wires. We returned the adapter and they exchanged it for another one. The day we took the new one home it did the same thing. Any ideas what could be the problem???

2. Sponsor

3. frankjohn

frankjohn

Most likley a short

4. momsabeast

So would that be a problem in the laptop or something in the wiring at my house or the cord itself?

5. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

Did the cord burn between the adapter and laptop? Or between the wall and the adapter? Also, is the adapter a 'universal' with a polarity switch?

6. momsabeast

Id have to look again for sure when I got home but I know it burnt right at the spot where the cord comes out of the square box not sure which side. It is not an original Acer brand cord but one they said was compatible with the computer. It does not have a polarity switch.

7. momsabeast

OK I just looked at the adapter and where it cracked is right where the cord comes out of the square box it split then the cord goes into the computer. The cord looks fine from the other side of the box where the cord comes out and plugs into wall outlet.

8. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

Electrical Engineer answer: My guess would be that the positive/negative polarity for the output is reversed from what it should be. A diode inside the laptop is protecting itself from the reversal, shorting the adapter output... thus smoking it. Another possibility is a short inside the laptop but that is less likely.

I would try to find another adapter specifically made for your laptop model. Have you tried the Acer website?

9. momsabeast

I went to the acer website and they had a part number listed there for an adapter. I just ordered it last night on ebay. it looks like an OEM replacement. So I guess I will have to wait until this one gets in and see how it does. Its just wierd that the last 3 adapters have all does this right when I get them.

10. K7M

K7M

When you try the new adapter, I would make sure the battery has been removed from the laptop. If the battery has an internal short, that will also smoke the adapter. If it works without the battery, I would have someone test the battery.

11. momsabeast

Actually the battery wasnt in when any of the adapters went bad. The battery recently died so we had to order a new one of those to so all adapters went bad without a battery in it.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/788545

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice