1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Power adapter type cannot be determined after replacing new HDD

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by smileypig, Apr 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. smileypig

smileypig Thread Starter

My Dell Inspiron 6400 HDD damaged without any warning last week and cannot be repaired, so i had to replace it with another HDD. Everything works fine after that except that when i plugged in my AC adapter, the power warning message “The AC power adapter type cannot be determined. Your system will operate slower and the battery will not charge. Please connect a Dell 65W AC adapter or higher for best system operation" will appear, and my battery will not charge.

Previously this power warning message will occur only when i didn't plug in properly and it worked fine after i replug the adapter. Since i changed my HDD, this warning message appears everytime i turn on my laptop. I tried updating the BIOS but it doesn't help, the problem is still there. I suspect that my AC adapter is damaged but when i tried it with another Inspiron 6400, it worked fine without the warning message appearing, that shows that there isn't any problem with my AC adapter..

Any solutions for this? I hope i don't have to change the motherboard or whatsoever, because my laptop is out of warranty. Is it something to do with the configuration? - since i formatted my computer and reinstalled everything..

thanks heaps for any comments!

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You may have a damaged DC jack in the laptop if the adapter works on another laptop, which would go with you replugging the power adapter to clear the error in the past. Its not uncommon for the jacks to break from the motherboard and require re-soldering, in some cases the jacks crack or break and need to replaced. To get at the jack you will need to have the laptop completely disassembled.

P.S. 'spoiled' isn't not the correct term to use with failed electronics.

3. smileypig

smileypig Thread Starter

thanks for your comment! sorry..editted :p
    i'm not familiar with electronics, does this means that i have to replace the motherboard or just the jacks? is it an expensive things to do (& it will make sure that the adapter will work normally after that?)
    is there other possibility or ways that i can try to isolate the real reason for this to happen?

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You could try another supported Dell power adapter just in case it is the adapter and it just happens to work in the other Dell.

Repairing the DC jack is not easy, you'll want to have a professional do that for you as it requires complete disassembly of the laptop and soldering skills.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/993371

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice