1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

power adaptor keeps falling out of notepad

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sabby, Nov 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sabby

sabby Thread Starter

the little hole in the back of my notepad (a HP Pavilion) which the power adaptor connects to has a little pin in the centre of it. however, somehow the pin has bent or has been squeezed too far into the hole and now my power adaptor lead wont connect to the laptop...has anyone had this problem? please help cause i can't use it without power....

2. shadowcat

shadowcat

If the laptop is still under warranty, call HP and have them service it. Or, have a laptop technician fix it.

I don't recommend trying to fix it yourself because laptops are much harder to fix than a desktop and the parts are integrated and proprietary. (And opening the laptop yourself usually voids the warranty.)

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

First off, STOP trying to plug in the power adapter before it's fixed! I just scrapped a Compaq laptop motherboard where the power socket was broken. Seems that they kept trying to use it and wiggle it around, finally it shorted and really made a mess of everything within a couple of inches of the power connection! You have 19-20 volts at 3 amps on most laptops, that's enough to do serious damage when you get a short!

4. sabby

sabby Thread Starter

hi johnwill, i haven't touched the thing since i realised there was a problem. how did you get the problem fixed. i don't think i'm covered by warranty so do you have an idea of how much it might cost?

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I've fixed the power connection on a couple of laptops, basically I solder it back down, then epoxy the connector together if the housing is cracked. If the MB is beyond repair, it's usually cheaper to buy a new laptop. Obviously, if it's under warranty, send it back. If it's not under warranty, I'd either open it up or find a repair shop that can tackle the job.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/297345

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice