1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Power but No BIOS & blank screen

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by giddygoat, Mar 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. giddygoat

giddygoat Thread Starter

Heres the Problem
    When I switch on I get power to PC, CD and DVD drives which can be opened and closed, hdd light comes on for 2 seconds then stays off.

Nothing appears on screen, the BIOS doesnt appear and the monitor screen remains blank.
    (NB monitor works on another PC)

Fans on processor and casing are both running when I switch on

Beeps heard vary each switch on but are either:
    1)Duh Duh Duh , Du Do
    2)Duh Duh Duh ,du du du du du du du (rapid constant tone)
    3) No beeps

Prior to this problem
    my PC case did seem hot but Musketeer device said 50 degrees C. Windows XP was experiencing more frequent problems on bootup recommending scandisk much of the time, TV card seemed troublesome.

My efforts
    I have opened up and had a quick look and all seems to be secure (except 1 of 4 very thin wires to the speaker ports.)
    I haven't found or smelt signs of burning.

The beast
    A P4 3 ghz processor
    2 512mb 400 DDR pieces
    2x 200GB HD's
    ATI Radeon 9800? 256MB
    TV card
    Muticard reader,Floppy drive
    DVD Rom
    DVD Rewriter

I also have a 3 year old PC P3 800mhz, 64MB graphics, think the memory is SD Ram, if any of this can help.

Any suggestions welcome, preferably with recommended sequence of attack for willing but novice PC surgeon!! Thanks

2. iknowkungfu

iknowkungfu

Sounds to me like your power supply, or possibly the mains (though I doubt it) had a power surge and blew your motherboard. Happened to me a couple of weeks back, my housemate a month ago and a family friend not long ago either! There was no smoke or burning smell either.

This would also explain no BIOS, and Windows becoming unstable before the event, because irregular power levels were being fed to your system.
    If the psu has started surging, it would explain why the fans, drives etc are still working - power is still reaching them.

If it had been the RAM going, you would still get a POST / BIOS.
    I doubt that the TV card has anything to do with it.
    The only thing that confuses me is that you get beeping at all....

Not sure what you mean by "musketeer device", but 50 degrees is fine for cpu temp, and probably for case temp too.

If it was a psu surge, you will probably need to replace the motherboard, and I would strongly recommend buying a high quality psu (remember, high wattage rating doesn't always equal quality!) from reputable brands such as Antec or Enermax. Your psu has probably started becoming unreliable, and you don't want a replacement motherboard to go the same way! Additionally, you might invest in a mains surge protector.

Someone else might know different, or have a solution that doesn't involve buying a new mobo/psu....

3. zaax

zaax

If you can find out the make and model of the board. The manual will tell you what the beeps mean. But usually more than one beep means trouble. Also check if the video card has be come unseated

4. seahawk

seahawk

Could be as simple as replacing the cmos battery. I had a situation with the same issues and turned out to be an easy fix. Always be sure you are grounded before going in the case.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/347739

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice