1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Power but nothing opens

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Gisèle, Nov 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Gisèle

Gisèle Thread Starter

I have an Emachine computer with Windows XP and when I try to open it the power goes on but the fan just keeps working full speed and nothing at all opens up on my screen. Usually when windows opens up, the fan slows down or something and now nothing. Can't do F8 for Safe, nor F10 for BIOS; all I get is a blank screen and I can't get anything to open up. I've tried unplugging the power cord then replugging and sometimes it'll go back on (but with a blank screen again) without hitting the power button and other times when I have to hit the power button it won't go on. After hitting the button numerous times, it eventually comes back onbut again with a blank screen. Due to this, I'm not an expert but from reading some of the posts on your site could it possibly be the power switch or the power pack and if so, is there an easy way to confirm that? I don't know too much about computers but trying to learn. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

2. LagunaGTO

LagunaGTO Account Closed

Alright this might be a learning experience for you by far if we have to reset your RAM.

Is this a desktop or laptop? Do you get any screen picture at all or is completely no video? You're certain the cords are all still hooked up and correctly?

3. Gisèle

Gisèle Thread Starter

This is a desktop and I get no video at all; just a completely blank screen,,,, Yes, everything is still all hooked up properly.

4. blues_harp28

blues_harp28 Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

If you feel able to - check inside the Pc.

Turn the Pc off - leave the plug in to maintain the earth.
    Once you have opened the case.
    Touch the metal case to discharge any static.

Remove any dust - do not use a vacumm cleaner, too much static.
    Check that all fans are free of dust and will rotate.

Remove Ram - Video cards etc and then Reseat in the slots.
    But first - clean the copper connections of the Ram - Video cards with a pencil eraser.
    If more than one Ram stick - use just one stick at a time, as a test.

Put the case back on the Pc - and see if it with boot.

5. Gisèle

Gisèle Thread Starter

My cover was already off, fans are working fine; very little dust. I removed both rams and cleaned them with an eraser. Put one back at a time, everything still the same.

6. blues_harp28

blues_harp28 Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1025133

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice