1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Power button lights, but laptop does nothing..black screen, no boot

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mikeinstloui, Sep 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mikeinstloui

mikeinstloui Thread Starter

I can't find the answer to this anywhere and I am not sure this is the right forum..but..I have a Toshiba notebook that has been giving me problems and worsening.

I push the power button and it lights and nothing happens...black screen. I push it again to turn it off, then I am constantly pushing the button on and off. After about ten minutes it will go right into the normal boot mode. Not sure why it is taking longer to get into this normal boot mode I have windows 7 and I have a Toshiba Satelite T 115-S1100. I would be so grateful for any help. Thanks.
    Mike in St. Louis

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Sounds to me like a hardware problem, so I moved your thread.

Anything happen if you turn it on and then wait patiently for ten to 15 minutes? After you have been using it for awhile, then shut down, then power it back on within minutes what happens? If it works in these cases, my guess would be some kind of (probably motherboard) defect that only shows up below a certain temperature.

Could also be some kind of problem with the power supply or the button.

And now I'll turn this over to the folks who actually know hardware and can help you or tell me to move the thread back. :)

3. JGjo

JGjo

I'm having the same problem except i haven't been patient enough to see if it starts up eventually. hope someone can help us! I just dissected my laptop, but don't even know what to look for.

4. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    JGjo,you should start your own thread. It is easier to provide help to one persons problem at time, also your system would need to be identical to the OP's laptop to get proper help from his problem troubleshooting.

@ mikeintloui, do you get the same problem with the battery removed and only running on the Power adapter? Or vice versa, only battery?

5. JGjo

JGjo

sorry I butted in. I already have a thread :) was just telling the poster s/he's not alone :p

6. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    I found your thread just a few minutes ago. I hope you get some suggestions as well. I am better able to help with Desktop Harware problems than Laptops. I haven't cracked one open except to had hidden Ram and a keyboard change at the same time and that was 9 years ago.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1067733

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice