1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Power connectors

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bhopx, Jan 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Bhopx

Bhopx Thread Starter

putting together my new PC, im connecting the power connectors to the different components atm im not sure what to do with the following situation:

Power supply has an ATX power connector that has 24 pins BUT the last 4 pins disconnect to become that 4-pin 12v connector. the motherboard ATX power connector accepts a 24 pin PLUS it also has that 4 pin 12v connector next to the CPU socket. the motherboard manual says that the 4 pin 12v connector must be plugged in in order to run the system but it does not say whether or not it would be ok to run it with 20 pins going into the ATX connector as opposed to 24 pins. My question is: if there are only 20 pins connected into the ATX power connector is that ok or do i have to have 24 pins PLUS the 4 pin 12v connector plugged in at the same time? my motherboard is an ASUS A8N SLI Premium and the power supply is an Antec TRUEPOWER 2.0 550W power supply.

thanks.

2. ezymony

ezymony

There should be another connector for the 12v plug on the mb. Did you look at all the connectors coming from the power supply?

3. SacsTC

SacsTC

Pg xiv in the manual states the following power requirement: "ATX Power Supply (with 24-pin and 4-pin Plugs). ATX 12V 2.0 Compliant.

4. Bhopx

Bhopx Thread Starter

well this is an ATX 12v 2.0 power supply that i have. Ill take another look, maybe im just not seeing the 12v connector cause the wiring for the PS is a bit of a mess.

5. Bhopx

Bhopx Thread Starter

6. SacsTC

SacsTC

It should have both the 24 Pin and the 4 pin square connector built in.

7. Bhopx

Bhopx Thread Starter

nevermind, i found the connector in the complete mess of wiring that came with this PS. Surprising that a quality PS like this from antec doesnt come with some cable management. thanks for reaffirming for me though that there should have been a separate 12v, lol.

thanks.

8. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

FYI, the 4 pin 12V connector was NEVER intended to be plugged in with a 20 pin one, because the pinout of that connector is NOT compatible with the pins at either end of the 24 pin MB socket. See the attached PDF page from a MB manual...

Attached Files:

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/437513

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice