1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Power cuts, can't finish CHKDSK, sound issues - and more! :D

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by chessu, Jan 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chessu

chessu Thread Starter

I am running a Dell Inspirion N5010, Win 7 Ultimate, RAM 4GB, 64bit; Intel(R) Core (™) i3 CPU, M350 @ 2,27GHz 2.26GHZ

I’ve been experiencing a wide range of issues with it over the past year and have lost all hope to IT-services I’ve turned to so I’m hoping to somehow prolongue its life myself until I can afford a new laptop.

The lead-up to my current problems:

• First, I started getting quite slow and had graphic glitches and soon after blue screen errors and beeping instead of turning on (this happened straight after I had it checked just in case before my warranty ends at the warranty place)
    • Eventually, I took it back to the warranty (that was still valid) and they said it was a hard drive problem and said they’ll change it. They ordered the drive while I was still under warranty, but the fixing itself happened after
    • While being fixed, I got a call saying that my motherboard had crashed (which I figure was the initial problem anyway), but as ‘they broke it’, they’ll replace it for free (I am worried I got a faulty motherboard maybe?)
    • Had a friend’ friend’s IT guy install a new OS (to my knowledge its genuine) and everything was working fine for about 2 months ‘til problems started again

What is happening with it now:

• It’s still quite slow and freezes/doesn’t respond often
    • Cuts power without a warning and takes half an hour to agree to turn on again. The cuts appear to be random - sometimes it handles hours of Photoshop, other times it cuts in the middle of only using Word; with and without being plugged in)
    • When it does, it always offers a CHKDSK which I can’t complete as it always cuts power after a few minutes. The only way to get the laptop to turn on is to cancel it and after it gets to the Windows 7 screen, it will stay turned on
    • Recently, the sound has started to randomly turn robotic and the cut altogether.
    • Around the same time, I also stopped being able to ‘check for updates’ on Windows Update.

What have I done:
    I am not too good with computers so this bit is fairly limited.

Tried to complete CHKDSK, but never get past 5%

I downloaded HWMonitor, but not sure what the right levels are supposed to be. I imagine the power cuts are to do with overheating, though the laptop, though warm, doesn’t, actually get hot. The fans do make quite a lot of noise though.

I have tried to check the drivers etc and they seem to fine/not in need to be updated.
    I did a disk clean up, but disk defragmenter doesn’t start.

I know the best option here is probably to buy a new laptop, which I currently can’t afford. I currently have no familiar IT-guys in my disposal and I’d rather not pay £50 for diagnostics somewhere else, as it’s already like 20% of the price of a low-rate new laptop.

Thanks for any suggestions what to try!

I have no idea what to look out for. I currently only had one window open, normally the temperatures are slightly higher.
    [​IMG]

2. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    "Power cutting off" (ie: the computer shutting itself off) is a hardware issue. Most common causes are the power supply or motherboard.

Any other issues are likely related to the initial problem. The computer shutting off without properly closing Windows and powering off can cause HDD/file corruption which could be the cause of the other issues.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1140531

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice