1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Power down during electrical storms

Discussion in 'Networking' started by golddust, Jan 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. golddust

golddust Thread Starter

Just hooked up to an adsl service (Bellsouth). In the past, with our dialup service, I would turn off the power to computers and pull the modem connection (we live in the Tampa Bay area of Florida - "Lightning Capital of the World"). I'm now concerned whether powering down will interfer with my dsl modem and my router operation (had some issues with both on connection - seem to be cured now). During the summer this is almost a daily occurence.

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

If there is a problem (and there should not be) then the problem needs to be attended to.

Normal circumstance would not create a problem by disconnection.

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I ditto kiwiguy. Powering down/disconnecting should give no problem. If you do experience any problems then make sure you power up in order: modem, router, computers.

4. BenWasTaken

BenWasTaken

Why don't you just buy a surge protector?

5. brushmaster1

brushmaster1

A surge protector may help with minor line voltage spikes, but will do little to protect from a lightning strike.

On the other hand, I never disconnect during thunderstorms, and I've yet to sustain any damage...

6. loony_taz00

loony_taz00

I never even shut down my computer during a storm, But it will be my fault when it gets screwed

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    In my neighborhood all the utilities are underground; have noticed few problems during storms. However, in previous place power and phone lines were on poles. One of my dial-up modems was fried when an unexpected storm hit. Another time the modem died along with part of the motherboard; since it got replaced under warranty I never mentioned that I suspected a pulse on the phone line (no storm though).

Another modem died suddenly while I was connected to a motel system.

Even though it seems "safe" here, I use surge protector and for storms power down everything.

8. valis

valis Moderator

yah, a direct hit will eat any surge protector on earth for lunch, and start on every thing connected to it.

Like to live dangerously, eh, brushmaster? I always unplug everything I want to keep during a t-storm. Now, if I could find a way to plug the stuff I don't want IN, I'd be set.

9. jmwills

jmwills

You are more likely to get a hit over a phone line than an electrical line, so DSL could be an issue.

10. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

I leave mine up 24/7 and decide I'll let my home owners insurance sort it all out should I have any problem...

Then again I also have 6 PC's up at any given time too and I'm not going to run around and turn them all off and disconnect them all.

11. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

BTW I live in FL too and no bad luck here in the 9+ years I have been here *knock on wood*

12. golddust

golddust Thread Starter

Obviously you are not familiar with the strength of the lightening strikes around this neck of the woods. Not only do we have surge protector strips on all our electronic devices (computers, tvs, etc) but we had one installed on the circuit board. The result was that in a couple of years our big screen tv took two hits (fortunately the extended warranty took care of the repairs). After the first one we went back to pulling plugs, but the second one happened when we were out of town and had forgotten to pull the plug before going away. Oh, by the way, our new neighbors got hit a month or two back, blew a hole in their roof and burned out several of there new appliances.

13. golddust

golddust Thread Starter

You sound like the kid in the college computer lab I warned when he got his new computer. Guess what, two weeks later he'd fried his modem.

14. golddust

golddust Thread Starter

All the phone lines here are underground, but ground strikes have been known to get into the phone lines anyway. Some areas here have underground electric, but the same thing can happen.

15. golddust

golddust Thread Starter

Letting your home owner's insurance handle it isn't the wisest thing. These days insurance companies are just looking for reasons to dump policy holders or raise premiums. Save the home owner's insurance for the big stuff (and hope it never happens) and pull the plugs.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/433233

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice