Power Failure...Now cannot start XP

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

jadunlap

This thread is similar to the one right before this about his monitor not working correctly. I apologize if it seems like a double post.

Well, I had a power failure in my house last night. The power immediately came back on...My computer shut down though. I went to reboot and as it was first loading a screen(black screen, similar to the F12 boot screen) came up saying that windows did not shut down properly. If gives you options to start in safe mode, safe mode with networking etc. Below those options, it reads if you had a power failure, we recommend that you start Windows the last time it was working. And there was an option to do that. So I did, The Windows XP Screen loaded but as it was about to load up the login screen,my monitor went black and stayed black. I tried it several different times and it still didnt work. I also tried to unplug the monitor from the PC, unplugging the PC altogether and replugging but had no luck. Any ideas? Thank you.

You may have a completely fried Display adapter card.

Is your display adapter an installed card or an integrated chip on the motherboard?

Have you tried attaching a different monitor?

Also I don't know if you've tried this, but unplug the monitor both from the pc and from its power source -- then press and hold the power button on the monitor a few seconds before reconnecting it.

But your best bet is to try a different monitor to see if that's really the problem.

You may also need to try a different display adapter.

jadunlap

I have not tried attaching a different monitor, because of that fact that I can see the Windows XP boot screen (The one with the logo and loading bar). So I assumed it wasn't the monitor, but I can be wrong about that. Is that incorrect for me to assume that it may not be the monitor due to the fact that you can see that Windows XP loading screen?

I'm not sure what a display adapter is. What is it and how much does it cost? How can I check to see if it is fried. I have just a basic dell 3200, 17' monitor(not flat panel).

The power has gone out before with no problems...Even in a storm. I usually try to remember to turn it off, but sometimes I'm not at home to turn it off.

Thanks for your help.

I mention the monitor because you compared your problem with the previous. And that had to do with disabling the current monitor configuration in the Device Manager, in my view.

Display card drivers kick in at just about the time your monitor is going black -- so it has to be considered a part of the picture.

Check the Dell site for your computer model number to see what you have installed.

If the computer is under warranty, try contacting Dell support.

Display adapters range widely in price -- under 50 bucks to over 500. When you buy them they come as cards that are installed in slots on the motherboard. Some computers have display adapters integrated into the motherboard -- which means there is no card that can be removed.

Testing is primarily a matter of substitution in a case like this. You may need to have an experienced tech test this for you.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts