1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Power input broke on laptop mobo....

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Mrs. Trydle, Dec 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Mrs. Trydle

Mrs. Trydle Thread Starter

I have a Compaq Presario 2100. well the power jack broke off the motherboard, while trying to solder it back in place, one of the prongs bent, so I was taking it out again to start over, :mad: when my friend bumped into me. I accidently pulled it out of the motherboard. While inspecting the prongs, it looks as though a copper looking "sleeve" was still soldered to the prong. Is there anyway to fix this?

Also, the original jack was lost. I have another one, it's not a replacement, but it fits the plug. How can I solder this to the mobo for it to work?

Please help me.:(

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Without pictures to confirm it, it sounds like you may have damaged the motherboard. That copper sleeve may be what is left of a plated through hole that joined the top and bottom (and maybe some internal) copper layers. It would be difficult enough to attempt repairs with a socket that matches the original socket's solder tabs (prongs) configuration. Trying to fit a socket with a different configuration may cause even more damage.

It may be time to seek professional repair.

3. Mrs. Trydle

I found a docking station, however my mobo doesn't have the socket that plugs into it. Is there a name for this plug, or socket, the thing that I would have to solder to the mobo?

Is there better way to get power to this thing?

4. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    If the docking socket is not on your particular version of the motherboard, there is a very good chance that other components related to the docking feature may be missing as well.

FWiW, you are not alone with having power jack problems on a Compaq Presario 2100. Found this thread on another web site that discusses replacing the jack:
    http://www.howtofixcomputers.com/bb/ftopic127194-0.html

5. Mrs. Trydle

Is there another way to supply power to the motherboard, or is there some where else on the board that the power jack can be placed? Also how can power be supplied via USB, because I tried that and a blue light was blinking on the front of my laptop like it was hibernating... Or does a laptop require to much power for that to work!?

6. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    A laptop can supply power out of a USB port but it would be just about impossible to supply power to a laptop through one of its USB ports.

Since it sounds like you may have damaged the copper traces on the motherboard, it sounds lie getting an socket to work would require running short lengths of insulated wires from the pins of the jack that you do have and connect them the undamaged sections of the remaining copper. There is a good chance that further damages may occur to the motherboard even with careful soldering

7. Mrs. Trydle

:rolleyes: well...either the mobo is damaged, or it's damaged...lol. How do I go about attaching the wires?

8. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    Well it could be damaged but still repairable or it could get damaged beyond repair by an attempted repair that went wrong.

With a correctly sized soldering iron and the correct type of solder. If you are not sure where to connect the wires, then it is time for some professional hands-on repair assistance.

9. Mrs. Trydle

I can do it!

ok so clean it out, so the exposed copper is nice and shiny :D and solder the prongs into the board and see what happens...

10. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    Wishing you good luck (y)

11. Mrs. Trydle

ugh ! no luck, what's that thing called, schematic, is that the word i'm looking for? how can i separate the board there, is it possible, and connect there? I'll keep messing with it till i get the money to get another board i guess. he he he
    thank you for helping me.

12. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

You don't want to replace the system board on a 5 year-old laptop. It isn't worth the cost.

13. Mrs. Trydle

well for me it would be cheaper to just get a new board, I only use the internet, and play games, and then various other small activities, like if I used it for work or depended on it, I would buy new, which I don't. Is there a schematic for this board?

14. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

It's not cheaper to get a replacement board. A new one isn't available. And complete units are selling on eBay for less than $100.

15. Mrs. Trydle

well even still, the question is still money, of which I have none.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/782051

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice