1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Power Issue

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by BrainmanX, Jul 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BrainmanX

BrainmanX Thread Starter

I have had several power issues with the computer that i am assembling. First power supply i had was doa and the 2nd one i got popped and then smoked. I am a little bit frustrated with what has happened. I got a 3rd power supply yesterday and installed it today and the power supply seems to be alright, but when i push the power button the 3 fans (power supply, and 2 case fans) turn on for about 1 sec and then turn off and it seems that there is no power going through the motherboard. Any ideas what it might be?
    I dont have any other components installed for fear that they might get ruined so it is just case mobo fans and power supply. Oh, the case is atx form and power supply is 430 watt with asrock mobo. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, BMX

2. dirkraft

dirkraft

I have absolutely no knowledge of "asrock" but it probly just clicks back off because of no processor, and/or no cooling fan for the processor, but every mobo is different so I'm only guessing. Did you get the same PSU all three times? Because if you did, you might want to get one from a different company to be safe. It should turn on and give you a keyboard error or memory error on the screen (if you plug that in) with just the proc and cooling heatsink in

3. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Power supplies require a minimum load on most rails before they will work.

Probably you are below the limit, so it will not run.

4. BrainmanX

BrainmanX Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. I installed all of the components that will be part of this computer and the same thing still happens. I have a friend that does a little bit with hardware troubleshooting at the university i attend and he told me to pop out the mobo battery and let it sit for a minute and then put it back in and try again, but still no change. Just to let you know again exactly what is happening; the problem was the power supply before (this is a new power supply), but now the power supply seems to be okay, after everything is connected and the switch on the psu is turned on i press the power button on front of comp and the fans (I wasnt able to tell if the processor fan turned on or not) spin for about a second and then stop and i cant get them to spin again just by pushing power button on front of comp. To start them again i have to turn off psu and unplug the power cable then plug in power cable again and turn psu back on etc. Is this conclusive that the mobo is bad (ie maybe shorted out when psu #2 blew up) or do you think it might still be something with psu or cmos battery? Thanks in advance for any help you can give me. Thanks, BMX

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You may want to try a bare minumum setup to start with.

Pull the motherboard out of the case and set it on something that is not conductive. Then plug in only the CPU with heatsink, one stick of RAM, video card, the powersupply - no other cards or any drives. Then double check oll the jumpers - FSB, Multiplier, Clear CMOS, etc. To turn it on use the power switch from the case or just short the two power pins for a second with a screwdriver. If it starts then it could have been a short between the case and a component or a faulty/incompatible part. If it still doesn't start then you will need to test those components with known good ones or get replacements.

Also check the 115/230 Volt switch on the powersupply - if it is set incorrectly the powersupply/motherboard can be damaged.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/253013

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice