1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Power issue

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by matthew165, Feb 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. matthew165

matthew165 Thread Starter

Lately my computer has been just making a solid tone when I turn it on, instead of posting, and will not boot. If I unplug from the wall for a few days then it works again for a few days. I was getting errors saying the vid card was not getting enough power. So, I swapped out the 650 PS for an Antec Blue Trupower 750w. The BIOS says the 12v is getting 11.8 volts, but PC Wizard 2010 says the 12v is only getting 1.5 volts or so. This is with the HD fan plugged in and running. Without the HD fan plugged in, PC Wiz said the 12v was getting 11 volts. Could the HD fan really be sucking that much power, and shouldn't 750watts be enough?

2.66 Dual Core
    8800 GTX 768MB - (has two power ports)

2. IsolatedSnail

IsolatedSnail

I've had server power supplys completely fail because of bad connections to hard drive trays. I can't say that it is definitely the fan, but I would say if you have an extra fan laying around trying swapping the fan. Maybe even try just swapping the connector the fan is attached to (if you have another available connector coming off your PS). If some short in the fan or that specific PS connector is feeding back into the PS it can cause all sorts of problems including causing the PS to fail.

Hope that helps.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/903422

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice