Power issues causing ADSL dropouts?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

jmc

This is really weird. Over the last couple of weeks, we're having this strange issue where a resistor will start humming in our water heater, and at the same time our ADSL connection will go up and down like a yoyo, terribly unstable. When the humming quits, the DSL stablilizes.

I know it's a resistor because we replaced that unit last year for the same reason - humming.

I have a BT USB modem. Aside from this weird issue, the line is perfectly stable, everything's set up correctly. My UPS is showing normal input voltage and frequency; it occured to us that perhaps a brownout or fluctuating Hz was causing this, but that doesn't appear to be the case.

I'm in the UK, which has, of course, 240v/50Hz power.

Any idea what's going on here? I don't know whether to complain to the power company, to BT, get the heater repaired or get a new modem or... something.

I just can't figure out how these two issues are connected, but they most certainly are.

Any ideas?

jmc

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Well, if the power is going nuts, I sure could cause issues with a lot of equipment! OTOH, this could be the thermostat in the water heater chattering and creating electrical noise, which could also cause a problem. Simple idea, fix the water heater and see if the problem goes away! :D

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online