1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Power light blinks before system boot

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Slaverty, Nov 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Slaverty

Slaverty Thread Starter

Hey all,

Weird one here. Got myself a new graphics card the other day, upgrading from a Radeon x1650 pro, which died after 4 odd years of good service, to the Radeon HD5450, and everything seems to have gone successful except for since installing it, when I press the power button to boot, the PC's power light will blink 7 times and then boot up normally on the 8th blink.

I was kinda in 2 minds about whether or not to troubleshoot this if I'm honest, but figured I might as well in case it could be causing some kinda damage. I can't see any error's appearing, nothing in event logs, as far as I can tell the PSU should be more than capable, everything seems to be performing as expected, it's just these 8 blinks before the system starts to boot.

I've reseated the memory and Graphics and tried booting with a few non-essential components disconnected, which fixed it for the first boot, but the issue reappeared for every boot after that.

As well as my listed components I've also got a PCI NIC (D-link DGE-528T), wireless KBoard + Mouse, USB Wireless Adapter, a SATA DVD RW and a couple of fans (1x80mm, 1x92mm and 1xLED120mm)

...any ideas? :eek:

Cheers,
    Sean

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    If you remove the video card and plug into the onboard graphics does the issue go away?

It might be a incompatibility issue with the motherboard(ECS is the king of those), or the power supply. Do you have access to another PSU from another computer you can quickly test with?

There's only one BIOS update on the ECS site for that board and it appears to be a fairly old board: http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWebSite/Pr...x?DetailID=820&CategoryID=1&MenuID=21&LanID=0

3. Slaverty

Slaverty Thread Starter

Yeah, if I take out the graphics card and use the onboard it does go away, though I did notice when first powering on, the power light did 2 sets of 1 blink, separated by a definite pause and just the usual 1 blink on subsequent boots, then when reinstalling the card, first boot did 2 sets of 8 blinks.

The motherboards from my original custom build, hence it's almost antiqueness, saving eagerly for a major system upgrade. I have installed the latest BIOS though, and reinstalled earlier on the off chance. Unfortunately I don't have a spare PSU and won't be back to work till next week to get my hands on one.

I read earlier that the PCI-e slot on the MB is a 16x slot but performs like an 8x, though I'm not sure what issues that could cause I was wondering if that could be the reason.

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    x8 versus x16 won't make much if any difference for the card in question. Not sure how much of a problem this is, but definitely it would be annoying. I still think it;ll be done to the motherboard PSU, but using a different video card would also be a solution I would think; maybe an nVidia card or just a different AMD series card.

5. Slaverty

Slaverty Thread Starter

Hmm, in that case I might just hold out till I get a new motherboard an see what happens then. I was more worried that it was causing damage to a component, as it's performing fine with a DVI and HDMI connected to it. Think I can live with a delayed start-up for a few weeks, heh.

Cheers for your help. Hopefully this'll disappear with the upgrade, which will certainly NOT be to another ECS MB (too many problems with this one)

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1028812

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice