Power Line networking

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Jim Wulf

If you have 3 or more PC's running at the same time do you need a hub or router for data xfer to other workstations or just plug any PC into any power outlet and the network will work? Will all the PC's have internet access?
Thanks, Jim

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Without knowing the specific hardware you're considering, it's hard to say. I will say that I believe you'll be quite disappointed by power line networking, I'd seriously look at wireless with a hi-gain antenna.

Squashman

Trusted Advisor
I've been doing a research paper on PLC this past semester and will be doing a presentation on it at the end of the year. The technology looks promising but it has been a mixed bag as far as implementation. Some have had great success with it and others have not.

Is this something you are thinking about getting or do you already have it. It is just like anything other broadband service. You get a modem and you plug your PC into the modem.

Now that I think about it, are we talking about the same thing.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
From all I know about power line communications, reliability isn't a word that I'd use when describing it. :) I'll wait for the TV series, my experiences with power line stuff has been disappointing.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online