power loss after POST

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

ghostgray

I have installed a new motherboard, at boot the computer completes POST (single beep), identifies the cpu, completes RAM test, runs another 5-10 seconds and powers off. I changed power supply, this occurs with floopy in A drive or from either of 2 know good HDs in place. javascript:smilie(':confused:')
confused

ghostgray

Welcome to TSG!

What motherboard and processor? A couple of things come to mind, if it is a P4, they have overheat protection and may be shutting down because of heat. Is the heatsink/fan properly installed with thermal compund? Some motherboards ship with the clear cmos jumper in place. This needs to be moved to completely boot the system.

Let us know

ghostgray

its a MSI MATX 370 MB running a celeron, I checked the CMOS clear pins but they are correctly set.

but thanks for trying! ain't puters fun : /

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Still could be a heat issue......is there a fan ontop the cpu? Is it spinning? Disconnect the hard drive and floppy disk (also cdrom if one is attached) to see if you can get a FDD error message or something.......

and just to be sure you understood the cmos clear pins, you disconnect the power supply, change the pin to clear setting, wait a few seconds and change it back........reconnect the power supply to the motherboard.

ghostgray

The cpu fan is working-
with or without any drives attached I still get "power off"-
this is not a shut down- power just quits.
No HD error (and I did try another know good HD)etc., - if I try to go into setup it barely makes it in before power loss.
I understand about cmos clearing.
Its nice to check against another's thoughts, thanks for trying-
ANY help, thoughts, etc. appreciated!

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
The only other thing that comes to mind is a possible short against the case. Can you try hooking up just the bare minimums outside the case on a flat non-static surface and see if it'll post further?

ghostgray

pulled the MB out, put it on a telephone book , connected only the power supply and switch- same problem.
connected it to another power supply while out of case, same problem.
I am beginning to supect bad MB : (

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Yep, I would probably think the same at this point.

Have you double checked to be sure that you have the correct processor and that it is configured correctly per the manual?

ghostgray

This is a MSI MB model MS 6368 which sets it self for whichever cpu (370) you mount (as I understand the manual).
The cpu type, speed, etc., is reported in the initial boot as is the RAM check.

; ((

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online