1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

power off during resizing C drive using Partition magic, not able to install win XP

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by rajnishdahiya, Apr 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rajnishdahiya

rajnishdahiya Thread Starter

I was partitioning my C drive of windows using partition magic so that to install Linux. my laptop(hp pavilion dv5000) had only 1 partition so I tried this stupid thing. Unfortunately power went off during partition, and now I m not able to install windows XP neither from recovery disc or from regular xp cd. Some linux (suse, fedora) and windows vista are installing fine. But I need XP disparately. What to do. Plzzzzzz help somebody!!!!!!

2. Old Rich

Old Rich

Hello and welcome to the forum . .

When you boot from the XP installation disc, you are not able to delete and then recreate the partitions?

3. rajnishdahiya

From regular windows xp disc, it does nothing. it just does not recognize the disc.
    from recovery disc it start installing but after some time it shows it shows 'can't copy a file:" something like
    BASE_04.INP , and then it stops.
    by the way let me tell you, I am able to install vista and linux

4. Old Rich

Old Rich

Is the Drive SATA or PATA?

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

6. rajnishdahiya

drive is SATA

7. Old Rich

Old Rich

You will need the SATA drivers to install XP . . Vista has them but XP does not.

See this for more

Some BIOS allow an Alternate method for SATA . . Go into the bios and check the "Sata Operation" setting, change it to "Raid Autodetect/ATA if it is not already

8. rajnishdahiya

In BIOS there is no option like that, It is only enable or disable SATA and I have tried both

9. rajnishdahiya

And previously I have installed XP from recovery as well as regular XP cd. No problem like that.
    Does partition magic does something?

10. Old Rich

Old Rich

Partition Magic does a lot . . and not all of it is good! . . the Recovery disc probably had the SATA drivers. What Brand/Model is the PC? . . some will use files on the hard drive to recover.

11. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

I hate to say this but Partition Magic is the cause of this, Since it was switched to Symantec the product has gone down the tubes (No relation to you tube) try the paragon that Elvandil suggests in the earlier post and see if you can recover the partitions that way first.

12. rajnishdahiya

PC is hp-pavillion dv5000 laptop. And as you say recovery disc has driver then why it stops after sometime(around 25% completion).
    And problem is not that I have lost any partition. Actually I backup my data before that crisis and repartition
    after that using linux . Now I am using suse 10.2 , in meanwhile I also use vista but my laptop is not compatible with vista so peformance was not good so I removed vista.
    Worry is that I am not able to install windows XP SP2 by any means. And I disparately need that for many reasons.

13. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

If you delete the partitions and then repartition and format the computer should work. Try using gparted and make the boot disk from its ISO file, works similar to Partition Magic with one exception gparted does work and does not do a job of trashing things like partition magic does

http://gparted.sourceforge.net/download.php

You want to use the live CD version click here after Browse releases of the LiveCD

14. Old Rich

Old Rich

You can slipstream the SATA drivers into a new Install disc using this guide

15. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

Hi Rich, Sorry your link gives Server Not Found. Appears to be a broken link....

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/700563

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice