1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Power off to drain capacitors?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by neilvonhof, Feb 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. neilvonhof

neilvonhof Thread Starter

I read recently (can't remember where now) that is was good practice to occasionally:
    1. Shut down the computer (Start, shutdown, etc,)
    2. Turn off the power switch on the power supply (on the back near the power cord)
    3. Then depress the on/off switch on the front.
    This supposedly drains the power out of the the capacitors and/or whatever else on the mother board might be applicable, which is a good thing to do. I have done it a few times - when the front on/off switch is depressed there is a flash of the light on the front panel once, further pushes of the on/off switch do nothing, implying that there is a drain of power of some kind.
    Ever heard of this? Is it good? Could it be bad? Does it matter?

Intel Core 2 Duo, XP Media Center 2005, Dual 350GB Matxtor HD's, 2 GB DDR2 Ram

Thanks in advance for any information on this.

Neil Vonhof
    Seattle

2. bonk

bonk Banned

Howdy,

Did it say in this information you found Why is was suppose to be good?

3. neilvonhof

neilvonhof Thread Starter

Yes, supposed to be good, but why, I can't remember. Either as a regualr maintenance proceedure or to fix some sort of problem.

4. bonk

bonk Banned

I have heard about it to attempt to fix a problem but never as a regular maintenance operation

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

The only reason to do this would be to fully discharge the power supply before opening it to change the fan. Other than that, I really see no use for the procedure.

6. bigbear

bigbear

I always adopt this procedure when working inside the case just to get rid of any risidual power.
    It is possilbe to cause a short, thereby damaging internal componants ( so I have been taught)

7. Rich-M

Rich-M

I agree and do the same thing myself.

8. rbrager

rbrager

I power down every night. I sometimes do a restart to clear logic problems most frequently when the computer does something strange. The only hardware I power down and have a cup of coffee in my Motorola modem. It takes several minutes for it to reset. The routers a minute or two. All my stuff is connected to power buses so the actual power switch gets little use.

The reason for a power off is to reset the base logic of the device to pre-start.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/544324

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice