1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Power on for 5 seconds

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by black ballon, Feb 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. black ballon

black ballon Thread Starter

I'm working my friends Gateway Computer. But I think it may be beyond help.

I remember when I first took a look at it a month ago it had like 5 to 6 viruses. He had no anti virus, but I was able to manually remove near all of them except for one.

But now he had a friend look at it, and now the computer wont even turn on. It gets a burst of power for 5 seconds nothing on the screen, and then turns off.

I've tried a basic boot up with minimum hardware, no luck. I've tried multiple outlets, a new power cord and checked all the connections inside the pc. Everything reads ok, but it will maybe get 5 seconds of power every 30 attempts.

So I have 2 guesses on what happened and am also looking for suggestions.

Since my friend kept using the computer for what he could get working, like Itunes and such. The last virus had time to go through and destroy the pc. I remember the virus was really killing it on resources, so I wouldnt be surprised.

Or option 2, the lesser, is the power supply is faulty. I remember he had a lot of cables running to one outlet, a lot of high powered equipment. It was a 2 socket outlet and he had 5 foot tall speakers with a cd player, radio, computer, monitors all plugged in there. And since all the machines couldnt pull full power when needed it ended up screwing the power supply.

I'm open to suggestions or a simple "you're screwed" would work as well. :eek:

2. bonk

bonk Banned

I would guess Power supply to start with

3. black ballon

black ballon Thread Starter

Okay I was able to get it powered on, one of the connections had to be reset and the video card was slightly hanging out.

Now I have to get rid of the xypmykxa virus without going online. =/

4. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    I just did a google search for name of your virus and a couple different variations on the name you gave and got "0" as in "No" results from it even as a hoax. Where did you Identify this as a virus?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/542354

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice