1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Power on, no hard drive activity, blank monitor screen

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Durst451, Aug 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Durst451

Durst451 Thread Starter

Computer Info:
    Compaq Presario Series 0204 (about 5 years old)
    240 Volt Power Supply (I think)
    Integrated Video Card
    2 Hard Drives

Alright here is a tough one for all of you...

Just recently got a new computer. I remove the C: drive from old one and attached to new computer, so that I could transfer all my mp3 files (over 6 GB). That worked fine. Now the problem comes when I put the C: drive back into the old computer. I connected the C: drive back up, but when I turned on it on this is a list of things that happened:
    1.Power LED light displays as ON (Green).
    2.Hard Drive Activity LED light display shows no activity at all.
    3.Moniter LED light displays green for a half second, then turns yellow. It also does not display anything, not even BIOS (blank screen)

I have tried many things to try to fix this problem. Most of which were suggested by a Computer Tech who thought that the computer might be confused on which hard drive has windows on it:
    1. Removed the 2nd drive, set the C: to a "Single/Master"
    2. Disconnected all devices except for C: Drive
    3. Tried differant Moniters
    4. Tried to Force power by turning on and off Monitor

(y) The Computer Tech advice worked one time, but after turning it off; it has yet to work again even after repeatively trying to duplicate the steps over and over again. (n)

This computer has to be ready in only a couple days, please even if you've just stumbled across this post, leave a suggestion!

Help ... please ... SOS ... anyone ... help ...
    ... _ _ _ ... ... _ _ _ ... ..._ _ _ ...

AIM: Spyman12356

2. jdmxek4

jdmxek4

make sure your hard drive is plugged up properly and that you set the jumpers back to master. remove the hard drive and start up the PC you should at least get to POST if not swap your video card and do the same thing.

3. Firah

Firah

Durst, what OS?

If Win98, do a: sys c:

If XP, do a: Repair - fixboot, then fixmbr

4. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

Sounds like you may have your IDE cable connected with wrong orientation. Stripe on IDE cable should be next to the power connector.

5. Durst451

Durst451 Thread Starter

Made sure of the IDE Configuration. It where it should be. I tried the thing about taking out the hard drives as suggested in the first reply, and the result was blank screen.

I have windows 98 on this one, but I didn't quite understand what you were trying to put, Firah. :confused:

So as it stands, my own opinion is that it is the video card since that's been the suggestion of most of the people and Computer tech friend.

But Firah if you could explain a little bit more about what you were talking about that would be great.

Thanks So far!

6. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Howdy Durst451...

Just as a test unplug the hard drive, both power ad ribbon cables, ans see if it will POST...

If it don't, reseat all cards, including memory and CPU...

7. peptobismal

peptobismal

alright since the monitor turns yellow, the light is on.. but no harddrive activivity. i would suggest trying a different power supply. i have had a time once where that happened to me.. i tried a different power supply.. and it worked smoothly after that.

8. n2gun

n2gun

Try reseating everything. Double check connections, It sounds most likely in the process you accidently jarred something loose,

9. Firah

Firah

Durst, since you moved the drive to another machine, I was thinking that maybe it lost it's system files. Hence, the sys c:

However, on re-reading your post, I realize that if that were the case you would have gotten a message. Instead you're getting no HDD activity. So...

You should do what Jedi Master suggests. Seems like it's not the HDD at all.

10. gaftop1

gaftop1

mine did exactly the same thing. did the wiggle and jiggle all connections turned out to be the memory was slightly loose

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/153468

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice