1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

power-on password

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by chasf, Apr 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. chasf

chasf Thread Starter

I have a Compaq Presario model 5101us
    I had to use System Recovery 2-3 months ago.
    Now when I turn on computer, I have to use a Power-On Password.

How can I disable this feature.

I opened the BIOS- don't know much about this. F8 &F10
    I couldn't get anything disabled there.

I do not have to use password after standby--Just when it has been off.

2. yohanjackman

yohanjackman

If you look through the BIOS properly it should be there...check for "Password Check" or something to that effect...the optioins should be always and setup...or something to that effect...change it to setup...disable it....delete it...do what you want from here... that should solve the problem...

3. chasf

chasf Thread Starter

I have been into that BIOS thing about a dozen times. I find Power-Up Password. It has Set beside it and explains it is needed to continue access. I have tried everything I can see and find nothing about disable, off, on, delet,etc. It has default setup values, nothing works.
    I can live with it but I never like to do unnecessary things that aren't necessary. Thanks.
    OH I have Windows XP

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

Have you tried "Set" and using a blank?

5. raybro

raybro

You usede the term "Power -On Password" which leads one to believe you are referring to the BIOS password set.

Are you sure you do not intend to mean the Windows User password. That would be the one that you must enter after the windows operating system loads and asks you to enter the user password.

Raybro

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

That's a good question. Exactly when in the boot process do you see this password?

7. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

If you are getting a Windows Password prompt, it is not a Power On Password. If you want Windows XP to Auto login, follow these instructions.
    http://8help.osu.edu/2063.html

8. chasf

chasf Thread Starter

Computer is off-
    I push button to turn it on and within 1-2 seconds it asks for the password. I get absolutely nothing until I enter the password. I type in password and hit Enter.

9. Elvandil

Elvandil

OK. That's BIOS all right.

Usually there is a setting for that in BIOS. There should be a BIOS guide in the manual (maybe a downloaded one). But it is usually pretty clear.

Try clearing the CMOS by using the board jumper or removing the power and battery. The default is usually no password.

10. jbhardman

jbhardman

Yep, if you're not real familiar with motherboards it will probably be easiest to remove the battery. It looks just like a watch battery. Just take it out for about 5 - 10 seconds, put it back in and power up. You should be good to go from there.

11. Squashman

Doing a system recovery shouldn't have had anything to do with setting a Bios power on password. You must have set it at some given time for some reason.

12. chasf

chasf Thread Starter

Lets just give up. I removed the battery but that didn't do it. If the battery is supposed to be watch size, I would like to see the watch. It is about 2"x 7" and maybe an inch thick.

If I start fooling around with the bios system and accidently wipe out password, I might be in real trouble. I can live with entering a password. No big deal Thankyou all

13. Squashman

You can't just unplug it and plug it back in. You need to remove it for a couple of minutes. I have never seen a bios battery that big. Not even on my old 486 desktops that still used the small rectangle batteries that plugged into a 3 wire plug. Are you sure you aren't referring to your laptop battery. This is a laptop, so the bios battery would be inside attached to the system board. Maybe you can reach it underneath the keyboard. The bios battery on my Compaq Armada is right underneath the keyboard and is about the size of a watch battery.

But you should be able to clear the password by going into the bios. I can on my Armada.

14. Squashman

Read the manual for your laptop. You have three different Bios/setup passwords that can be configured for your laptop. Two of them affect the startup of your computer. The manual shows you how to set each of them and delete each of them.
    http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c00653089.pdf

15. chasf

chasf Thread Starter

I just thought- There is a place in the BIOS menue that I can take the password out and enter a new one. What If I jut took it out and don't enter a new one. Would that eliminate the need to have one? I am afraid to try it for fear of not getting things to open up.

If you have time--what do you think? Thanks

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/701927

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice