1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Power out, BIOS wont boot

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Neviar, Jan 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Neviar

Neviar Thread Starter

I have a pretty big problem. My friend bumped my computer desk kinda hard (tripped on it) and it somehow reset the power to my computer. At the time, I was playing a pretty intensive game. The computer rebooted, and now the hard drive light is on constantly and the computer hangs at the menu screen before the BIOS. There's no power to my keyboard, so I cant press any function buttons to even try to access the boot menu. I've checked all the connections on everything - nothing fell out or got loose. I gave the computer about 10 minutes to cool down, but everything was running very cool to begin with.

If it's a hardware problem, I have recently (in the past week) installed a new slave hard drive and changed the thermal paste on my processor. And the RAM in my computer is kind of old, but the BIOS usually indicates bad RAM with a couple beeps. I'm perplexed. Any ideas? I can't afford a new computer.

2. Neviar

Neviar Thread Starter

3. Dondee

Dondee

When a computer won't boot, the first and easiest thing that I can do is to reset the BIOS to default configuration. Either remove the CMOS battery for about 20 sec or find the BIOS reset jumper and short it, accordinly with the shorting bar for either two or three pin configuration, for several seconds to reset the BOIS. Check your manual. It can't hurt, you can always reset the configuration to what you want after you get it booting, and it may help.

If it is the HDD drive I would expect that some sort of message would be received if the boot sector got scrambled. You can always try you second drive as the boot drive (even if there is no OS there) and see what kind of error message you get. Do the BIOS reset first though.

4. Neviar

Neviar Thread Starter

taking out the cmos didnt do anything for me. i havent tried another HDD, but in another websearch I found this. However, I don't know what its telling me to do.

Q. My computer won’t boot, and my drive light stays on constantly, or
    Q2. My computer cannot access floppy, and the drive light stays on constantly?

A. Align pin 1, as marked on the motherboard, with the red stripe on the cable. IDE drives normally have the pin 1 position on the left hand side of the case (the right hand side of the drive as you face it's rear connector), floppy drives normally have the pin 1 position on the right hand side of the case (the left hand side of the drive as you face it's rear connector).

5. Neviar

Neviar Thread Starter

somewhat good news. i changed the second hard drive to master and the bios booted up. the hdd light is acting normal as well. im gonna put the first hard drive on slave and use hitachi's drive fitness test (http://www.hitachigst.com/hdd/support/download.htm#DFT) to see if its working properly. does this mean my first hard drive may be fried? if that's the case, then i may be ok with it. its been bugging out a lot lately with the hdd light turning on more than usual and some major access time slowdowns.

6. Neviar

Neviar Thread Starter

bump... i could use anyone's help right now considering the last post

7. norton850

norton850

Looks like you should go ahead with your plan and see if it still works with the "bad" drive hooked up. If it does run the diagnostics.

8. Neviar

Neviar Thread Starter

i have seatools (another utility used for checking that will be better considering all my hard drives are seagate), but i can't use my mouse or keyboard in dos. my usb keyboard works fine in the bios strangely enough. i have legacy usb enabled, but once the dos program loads, i cant do anything. seatools has mouse support, but even a ps2 mouse isnt working. i cant do anything right now with the program

the hitachi program wasnt working for me btw

9. Neviar

Neviar Thread Starter

nvmi grabbed the text-only version

10. Neviar

Neviar Thread Starter

strangely, the drive passed all tests. im gonna grab a windows disc and chkdsk and mbr repair tomorrow. if not, i can reformat if the drive is working. you can close the thread - dondee actually answered my question by advising me to try out the different hard drives

11. Neviar

Neviar Thread Starter

yeah i can get to the bios now through the "bad" hard drive and recovery console does not allow dir or fixmbr or fixboot or chkdsk.

I get the errors - "The volume appears to contain one or more unrecoverable problems." and "An error occurred during directory enumeration." And Seatools said the disk is functioning properly. I think this just means the windows installation is shot, but the hdd isn't dead. Anyone have any experience with this situation?

12. Dondee

Dondee

1) You can either reformat the HDD, losing all your installed programs, and reinstall Windows--and everything else. I do this several times a year on each of my computers but you need to have your programs and data pretty well backed up and available.

2) You can install Windows on your second drive and use it to take your data off the first one.

3) You can reinstall Windows in a "repair" type of installation where only Windows is replaced. (You will have to update all the addons that MS has released and your Windows CD doesn't include-a good reason to have a slipstreamed and updated copy.) This is not a
    "repair" in the usual sense of hitting the repair key on the menu but it is almost as easy.

Read a step-by-step tutorial here:

"Fred Langa shows you how to completely rebuild, repair, or refresh an existing XP installation without losing data, and without having to reinstall user software, reformat, or otherwise destructively alter the setup."

http://www.informationweek.com/windows/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=189400897

#3 would be my choice

13. Neviar

Neviar Thread Starter

yeah i tried every option 2 nights ago and after completely reformatting my drive, i got back to square one. the hard drive was failing. i got a new western digital drive and everything is better now. thanks for all your help.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/668903

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice