1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Power Out - Still Use Computer And Internet

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself (Not Computer-Related)' started by DonnaG, Oct 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DonnaG

DonnaG Thread Starter

I was reading in a forum today (but did not keep the information or the forum I was in) that if you have a power outage you can still get internet access by doing something like...contacting your internet provider to see if you can make temporary changes to downgrade to DSL and a few other bells and whistles to get access to the internet.

I am on a cable connection and I am assuming you would be running the phone cord to the jack in your wall and on your computer. (I also assume you would have a battery lap top but I actually do not remember that part being posted. I also assume you need a land line but maybe not, there may be a workaround.) Anyway, you would just disable links, popups and all the things that slow down pages. You can then have minimums like e-mail and news. So, is it possible? If so how is this done?

I was having trouble understanding the workaround when reading it so I am not even sure if I am explaining the specific scenario correctly.

2. ekim68

ekim68

First Name:
    Mike
    A couple of things....Is the power outage in your area, but not your provider's area? How do you usually hook up to the internet?

3. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

BT engineers do it all the time with ADSL in the UK
    They use Laptops and USB single point Thompson Speedtouch ADSL modems. I've got one for testing lines in empty buildings with no power.

I'm not sure it would work with cable though.

4. Wino

Wino

In my area Time Warner cable goes down when we have power outages in my area (not talking about total city blackout - just certain neighborhoods).

I thought way back that I would beat the odds since TW at the time was fairly erratic service wise. Bought a 1500W UPS to keep power to router, modem, phones and fax (home business/office) - only to find out they all had power during power outages, but TW went down so was still in the lurch.:eek:

The DSL concept sounds feasible. I may try putting my neighbors DSL system on the PSU I no longer need to see if it still functions when power to system shut off. If I can get them to agree, I'll let you know what happened.

5. daniel_b2380

daniel_b2380

for cable - for the average user, IF it's a MAJOR blackout, not really feasable
    for dsl / adsl - if it's just an area thing, then yes - as long as your telephone line has power, fire up the laptop, the modem and go, [or use your internal modem for those still with them]

think about it -
    remember the old saying - if the electric is out, who do you call?, but if your telephone is out, who do you call?

telephone lines in YOUR home are NOT powered by YOUR house's electricity - but they ARE powered by electricity, [you can even get a little tingle from the 48 volts] - so as i said, if it's a MAJOR system outage and the SUPPLY to the telephone company is also out, then i guess you would have to be doing the 3g / 4g thing, unless the outage lasted so long the tower generators had ran out of fuel.... so there is always a downside somewhere.... :mad:

and wino,
    you can use other batteries in that ups to extend the time frame - it's best to use 'marine' rated batteries rather than 'auto' batteries - because of the extensive discharging / recharging - 'auto' batteries are not made to be discharged / recharged that much, such as 'marine' trolling motor batteries are

if you open the case, you'll find the battery in it is about the size of a very small motorcycle / lawn-mower battery - [amps X volts = watts ? - well, watts * volts = amps, so 1500 watts * divided by 12 = 125 amps, ok?] - so a FULL size battery, get the idea?

ok?

6. daniel_b2380

daniel_b2380

ps
    the above assumes the 'network-access-point' also still has power - otherwise all bets are off :D

7. Wino

Wino

It's not a UPS problem (I have UPS on six computers and my entertainment center) as I stated, it keeps all the plugged in components powered, but TW cable isn't available as they rely on the same power I do. That's why I suspect that DSL may be different since phone lines are powered and independent. I'm trying to talk my neighbor into letting me run a test on her DSL using my UPS that is worthless when city power lost. If I just kick a breaker on that circuit, then it keeps all going and still have cable access - this happens on rare ocassions as that computer system is on the same circuit as my guest bathroom and a GF trips everytime one uses a hair dryer.:)

8. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

Although any copper wired solution will still work, if the power at your ISP is down, then the DNS lookup will fail

9. daniel_b2380

daniel_b2380

if you are on cable, to ADD dsl to your monthly bill would be ANOTHER bill to deal with, most likely be in the same $$$$ range of what you are already paying for your cable cost :eek:
    AND, another modem to deal with, unplugging - replugging, changing settings, etc.... :(

and i don't really know right off of any companies that run cable AND dsl in the SAME areas they serve - cable is cable - dsl is the telephone company

if you only have a desktop, you would have the added cost of procurring some sort of back-up power for it, such as a ups unit, [see the posts above about that part]

if you don't have a 'land-line' - 'cause you use a 'net phone' - then adding the 'land-line' would be an additional cost

if you do already have a 'land-line' - you might consider adding a 'dial-up' connection though - the cost there may be only $5 to $10 a month - AND - most desktops and laptops already have an on-board modem, powered through the computer, so just the one line to plug in to use without a lot of settings to change :)
    i have dsl and my telco gives me a 'dial-up' number for 'back-up' usage, if the broadband is down for some reason, or for traveling, for FREE :D

i really wouldn't advise trying to do a whole bunch of u-tube stuff, the bandwith for the time-frame is just tooooo limited, but for normal web usage - browsing, emails and such - shouldn't be any problems in that type useage, unless you permit every site to run scripts, active-x and java, [i don't because of my own security settings preferences - paranoia :D :p ]

10. daniel_b2380

daniel_b2380

you can still do your check if you choose to, been there, done that, so i was just answering the obvious question from knowledge i already was familiar with :D :p

didn't say it was a problem, don't think i was trying to imply that, i was just being HELPFUL and giving you, and anyone else reading this thread, some ADDITIONAL info one might find useful for for their own particular usage - to wit: you may have a 1500 watt ups unit, probably even says so in the paperwork you got with it, that you have a couple, to few hours, of usage - more than likely though, you won't get quite that much time out of it - add up ALL the power supplies' wattage ratings - then divide the number you get into the watt rating of the ups unit - thus, you will get the REAL USAGE TIME - THAT was my reason for the info i gave about using extra additional batteries, and the needed type, AND also for the benefit of the op, [was just using your info as an example :D :p]

uh, it IS different, the big reason for the telephone company NOT using 'DIRECT POWERED ELECTRICITY' for their usage is simply that when people have problems - disasters - etc. - is the simple fact that communications are rather at the top of the 'needed list' to mitigate further problems - SO - the telco suppliers ALSO have ups units, [have you ever been inside one to see the size of the battery racks they use?], [and their own generators also], so if the lines are still up, then we have the ability to communicate, even if the electricity is 'out' - plus - when lines are 'down' - tele lines are shielded - will even stretch some - so DON'T 'short' out - whereas when electrical lines are down, they AREN'T shielded - and .... :eek: - also, the network 'grids' are different between the telco and the electrical - as to the areas they encompass, etc.....

something you really should get checked - might be just something simple like too high an amp draw - with hair-dryers rated 1800 watts and bigger - most people never really think about the current draw when plugging things into outlets to use them - but amps IS amps and maybe your gfi itself may only be rated at 15 amps or so

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1024913

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice