Power Outage... can't boot

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

drumgirl67

I posted this in the XP forum, but I think it's probably a hardware problem.

Today my power went out and after it came back on and my boyfriend went to boot up his computer, Windows wouldn't load. After the first few startup screens, it goes black and freezes up.

When we put in the Windows installation disk to try and reinstall, it gets stuck at the "Setup is starting Windows" blue screen and won't go any further. The computer will not start in safe mode, either.

It did start up once normally in the midst of all this, but nothing was done differently before or after that time in restarting and it hasn't restarted normally since.

Any words of advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

Good Evening drumgirl67,It would be an idea to run memtest86, this program will test your memory.
If you download the file "Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip) - 42.1 KB" from this URL http://www.memtest.org/ it will need to be burned to a CD using a special burn technique to produce a bootable cd.
Boot on this CD and see what is finds on your memory. Accept no errors.
If you have any problems making this cd don't hesitate to ask further.
There is a possibility your memory may have a problem.
Cheers qldit.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Of course, you can download the floppy version and skip the CD burning. :)

Please don't take this as criticism as it's after the fact advice for once you are up and running again ... but if you can, invest in a decent UPS - its saved me on several occasions. A few years ago my comp. got creamed [not totally toasted] when I had a power outage during a system restore and no UPS. :mad:

as another option if you have some spare memory laying around you could possibly try that, I have had windows installs get stuck before and it seems to have been a memory problem. Try unpluging everything and pluging it back in, including your mem sticks. I dont know why but seems to have worked before /shrug

drumgirl67

Thanks for the help everyone. He's decided that since we just bought the computer, we're just sending it back to the company to fix/replace since it's still under warranty. I will look into a UPS. Luckily my computer is a laptop so when the power goes out it just goes to its battery so only one of our computers is busted.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online