1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Power outlet problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kkeckley42, Nov 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kkeckley42

kkeckley42 Thread Starter

Recently, I've been having problems with my laptops power. It will flick off between AC power and battery power spasticaly. I thought that it was my old power cord as it was abused and old. I got a new one, expecting it to be fixed. Imagine my surprise when the problem persisted. I contacted Dell but during the fix I got disconnected when they suggested I remove the battery and see if it ran. I told them that when it removed, one of the power surges shut down the computer when they called me a few minutes later. I was told a new battery would fix the problem but that is a 160 dollar risk I don't care to take since I think it is the actual plug for the power cord in the back of the laptop which is an Inspiron 6000. If anyone has any kind of advice on how to fix this or where to have it fixed for cheap, I would be very much appreciative.

2. Aussie_Dundee

Aussie_Dundee

An off chance would be that it could possible be the actuall connection between the power adapter plug and your laptop is sitting loose. or even worse if it is internal just behind the case. damaged circuitry or worn out connections...
    The part where the current travels from your external adaper plug to the comps battery and rest of the unit.

No way of telling without actually examining the hardware close up.

One question though... Did you replace the entire power adapter or just the plug from the wall outlett to the adapter?

3. kkeckley42

I replaced the whole thing. I assume it is probably sitting loose as when I hold it in certain places, my power seems to work. Thanks.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

First off, I'd be REAL careful using that laptop at all with the problem still not repaired. I've seen several examples similar to the one posted below, that's what happens when the contacts of that loose jack short that power supply. Look at the rating, the supply is probably 70 to 90 watts, and that will develop enough current to destroy a PCB very quickly.

You need to have the power jack replaced, and then you need to stop carrying it around with the power plugged in.

You can ship it to places like: http://www.absoluteraleigh.com/power_jack_repair.html

You can also buy the jack from a place like: http://www.laptopjacks.com/ and repair it or have a local ship repair it.

This is what can happen if you don't repair it. :eek:

[​IMG]

5. kkeckley42

Hmm. Looks like a fun scenario. Thanks for the help. I'll look into having it repaired somewhere near here.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/651193

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice