1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Power Point 97 Help

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by 4dsmom, Sep 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. 4dsmom

4dsmom Thread Starter

I have Power Point 97. I have NEVER used it other than to view PPS files that are sent to me. I want to learn how to make a presentation, or really a photo album slide show in the program. I have read the help and find no help for this. I went to Microsoft site and read how to do it in PowerPoint 2003 but I do not have the options that it says to use. I tried inserting pictures as they advised, saved them as slides, but could not get them to work as a slide show. Only 1 picture would come up. Can anyone tell me where I can find the information on how to do this?

2. maxflia10

maxflia10

3. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    have your tried searching google for - powerpoint tutorials

anyway
    open powerpoint
    you have an empty slide
    goto insert> picture> from file>
    then resize to fit the slide
    now goto insert> new slide
    another blankslide appears
    goto insert> picture> from file>
    then resize to fit the slide
    repeat for as many pics as you want.......

then goto slideshow>viewslideshow

or look at the bottom lefthandside you willl see a small icon like a tv on a stand - click on that slideshow runs

OR - why not try
    http://www.irfanview.com/
    its a great free image editor and will create slideshows

4. 4dsmom

4dsmom Thread Starter

Thank you maxflia10 and etaf. I will check these sites out. I had started doing as etaf suggested and must have been doing something wrong. I will work on it. Thanks so much. Now I am wondering WHY I am not receiving email notification of replies to my posts. I haven't the last few posts I have made. My options under profile is marked to do so.

5. 4dsmom

4dsmom Thread Starter

Well I followed the tutorials and was quite proud of myself with the result. except for the size of the file. I have 42 pictures and the file size is 26.8 MBS. How can I make ist smaller? I used prints from my digital camera that had been downloaded onto Pc.

6. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Thats not unusual, you would need to open the images in an application such as Irfanview or a similar image editor and reduce the quality. 26.8 MB is only 630 kB per photo. What size are the photos (in kB?)

I would never use PowerPoint for a slide show. Its like cracking a peanut with a sledgehammer. I use PowerPoint for professional presentations, that's what it's designed for.

For a slide show, I just use Irfanview and double clicking any image shows all images in that folder as a slide show. ESC key exits.

For a slide show on a DVD player connected to a TV, most newer players recognise the .jpg camera images burnt to a CD and play them automatically, no program required.

Download Irfanview free from www.irfanview.com

7. 4dsmom

4dsmom Thread Starter

The answer from etaf is what answered my question, although I did go to the sites mentioned and read through them. I made one in Irfanview and it wasn't any smaaller in size. I then made another in Power Point and made pictures smaller to fit in the boxes and the size went down to 9.6 MB's. Reason I wanted to do it in Power Point is to email it. I receive many beautiful slideshows that are Power Point files with just as many pictures along with sound, and they are only 3 to 4 MB's at the most. I have the basics I will just have to keep practicing till I get it right. Thank you for all the help. You may mark my thread as closed if you wish.

8. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    you welcome - if you are only displaying in powerpoint then you could resize the pictures to say width 700width (keep aspect ratio) for landscape and 500height for portrait = with jpg that should cut the picture down to around 70K
    that would reduce your filesize significantly
    also fit a screen size 800x600 with a border.
    or if you want to cater for 1024 screens just increase the pixels
    its a compromise between quality and files size
    also consider zipping the file up with winzip when emailing.

powerpoint has a habit of getting bigger if you autosave - or make changes.
    when you have finished playing around - use save as and a different name - i have reduced a powerpoint from 12M down to 4 by doing that.

9. 4dsmom

4dsmom Thread Starter

Thanks again. I will "play" with it some more. It is a challenge but I will keep trying till I get it where I want it. All suggestions have been very helpful.

10. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    post back if you get stuck.

i have produced some power point photo slideshows for a poet who wrote material in a sculpture park about 10 statues, i photographed the statues - created about 100 slides 10 per statue - then we put the slides together in a powerpoint
    For 3 requirements.
    1) Standalone training
    2) Presentation with poet talking
    3) Audio visual experience.

It was great fun and the material is used by the local council for bringing art to schools etc.

As this was a commissioned project - i was asked not to retain the material on my website - so i cant show you the effect, anymore - although I do have other products I used to advertise a range of limited pictures which we sold through a shop.

Rather than just show the slides one after another - (irfanview will do that for you much easier) you can resize - add effects, transition effects and move the pictures around the screen etc.

i'll stop waffling now - good luck

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/275785

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice