Power Point Slide show files error

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Ecowarrior

Just installed Windows XP with SP2. When I go into Outlook Express and try to open a PPS file it gives me an error saying: This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the Folder Options contol panel. I know it's probably right in front of my nose but XP is really different than 98SE. Any help would be much appreciated.

Sincerely
EcoWarrior

Ecowarrior

Yes, thanks Swiper for that. I did download Power Point viewer after I got this message and it still shows the same error when I try to open the PPS file. I think if I could find out what "Create an association in the Folder Options control panel" means I could figure this out. Any ideas on this. By the way - this is a great forum, the best.

Sincerely
EcoWarrior

Have you installed Ms-Office suit?I think,yes.Then right click the file you want to open,and then choose 'Open with...' option and select powerpoint from the list.

Let me know if this helps you.

Ecowarrior

I'm not using MS-Office. I downloaded PowerPoint Viewer by itself. I tried what you suggested by right clicking the file. It only displays 'Open', not, 'Open With'. Thanks for your suggestion though. When I was using Windows 98SE I just downloaded the PPS program and every time I double clicked a PPS file it would automatically open it up. I think you're on the right track though. The error suggests that the file I'm trying to open doesn't have a program associated with it for performing this action. It says to create an association in the 'Folder Options' control panel, whatever that is? Thanks again for your help. I will soldier on.

Sincerely
EcoWarrior

From Outlook express, instead of opening it from within the message, choose to save it to a ' location on your hard drive "
once it has been saved, then double click on the file and it will either open up by default with PPViewer program or it will pop up and ask you to associate it to a program
If the PPViewer program does not appear, then you will need to 'browse' to the location that you installed the viewer program too.

good luck
Swiper

PS: After you finally get the PPS file associated to viewer, then it should open up in OE just fine.

Ecowarrior

Yes that worked. It's a little cumbersome to do but at least I can open the file. I Thank you very much Swiper. You guys and gals are truly the best and this is the best Tech site ever, bar none.

Sincerely
EcoWarrior

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online