1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Power pole is too far from my house. No internet

Discussion in 'Networking' started by taterolf, Aug 13, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. taterolf

taterolf Thread Starter

Right now I have broadband internet. Barely have enough Mbps to post this right now. Like the title said the closest power pole is around 300-400 feet from my house. So Comcast has labeled my house and unserviceable. We just moved in this house and it would be nice to get some decent internet and at a reasonable price. Is there anything I can do other than extremely slow broadband internet from at&t. Please help!!!

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    What's the significance of this? You have no electrical service at your house?

Do you mean that Comcast offers cable internet near you, but not near enough to service you? If so, maybe (that's MAYBE) they could and would run a cable to your house if you paid all expenses for that.

Since your apparently AT&T DSL service is unsatisfactory (I think that is the case for much DSL these days) satellite is the only other idea I have. It is not ideal, but if available to you may be your best option.

3. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Check with your direct neighbours to make sure they don't have Comcast... I don't know if 300-400ft is enough not to get you service.

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    My daughter had the same problem.
    Her small apartment complex was about 2 blocks outside of the servicing area of the cable internet company in that area.
    She was forced to use a satellite company which provided slower speeds and sporadic service, depending on the weather.
    She couldn't do anything about it until the cable internet company expanded its service area to where she lives.

---------------------------------------------------------------

5. cornemuse

cornemuse

How 'bout this: A friend manages some apartments near a state prison. State paid to run cable to to said prison. Same poles as for power/phone for him too, pole across the street. State (Kalifornia) will not allow cable co to run service to the apartments, PERIOD. No reason given, NO, period.

6. taterolf

taterolf Thread Starter

We have electrical service at the house. But the lines are buried I believe. I mean I don't have power lines connected to the roof or anything. I find it sort of weird not having lines connected to house though.

7. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    How and from whom are you getting the slow broadband internet connection?

8. taterolf

taterolf Thread Starter

We have it through AT&T. We have a router/modem that's connected to the phone line in the house.

9. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    So you are back to the old phone connection.
    Do they offer DSL which should be faster?

10. taterolf

taterolf Thread Starter

I don't believe they do unfortunately

11. lunarlander

lunarlander

Check again with ATT, DSL should be able to run over phone lines. That was the reason why DSL was picked by phone companies.

12. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You have a dial-up router/modem?!? That must be quite old! They didn't make many routers for dial-up ever.

13. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    Go to your local Comcast office and ask to speak with the construction manager to have site survey done. They will then investigate and provide the cost to have the service extended. Keep in mind that this is very likely not simply a matter of running cable to your house. Most likely, other hardware will need to be added/upgraded to get a proper signal to your location. This could range from a couple thousand to several thousand dollars, or they may not want to extend service at all. But at least then you will know.

Not to poke fun at you now after you bought the house, but cable service was at the top of the list of items to check when I was home shopping last year. I (we) wouldn't survive without high speed internet.

14. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Not necessarily. There is phone service available at my vacation home. But I cannot get DSL. The only option I have is cable Internet via Mediacom. If true, then the OP definitely has a worse situation than me.

It's an old dated technology, but you can also inquire about having ISDN service from the Telco. There will be some sort of installation charge.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1231409

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice