1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Power Problem with My Laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by El_Doro, Feb 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. El_Doro

El_Doro Thread Starter

Have i posted in the right section? I'm not sure?!

OK, i have a problem with my Acer laptop, the system itself running fine, but i can't charge it, or run it from the mains.

The power lead seems to be ok, the LED on the transormer lights when the lead is plugged into the mains, but when it is the plugged into the laptop it starts to flicker, not in a routine flashing way but like a light which is recieving a low voltage? if that makes sense?

The problem occurred over night, as it was perfectly fine one day, and then not the next? I'm thinking a problem with the connection of the power lead socket of the laptopto? I really hope i'm not looking at a pricey repair job here?!

Can anyone offer/help/advice/knowledge?

Any help would be great!!

Liam

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

It could also indicate a fault in the power section inside the laptop, creating an overload.

Faults in the power socket are not uncommon though, and relatively straightforward to fix unless they have damaged the motherboard beyond repair.

Only a service agent could advise after checking it, otherwise it is guesswork.

3. El_Doro

El_Doro Thread Starter

I think it's more likely to be the power socket, as the Laptop works perfectly, only running on the small bit of battery left, if there was a problem with the power section, would this not cause the Laptop not to work at all??

Anyway I think i'll stop trying to wiggle it about hoping it will charge, and speak to an expert in my local shop!

Thanks!

4. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

The power section of the motherboard converts the 19v DC from the adapter to the various voltages required. If the input side of it is damaged only, the battery section could still be working fine.

But you are right, get it seen to before you drive the fault deeper.

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

A very common problem with laptop power connections is the power receptacle gets damaged by rough handling. Do NOT try to connect the external power if this is the case until it's fixed. Some time back, I posted a couple of pictures of what happens when the surface mount connector moves a bit on the MB, it's not pretty!

6. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Howdy folks...

I agree with johnwill...try to avoid using the AC adapter, for now...

What I would do if I were you, is check the output of the AC adapter with a volt meter, and see if it putting out the correct voltage...

If it is, then more than likely it is the power jack, and on the outside it is the charger board ( in some cases it is on the motherboard, which would require a motherboard change, and in others it is a seperate board )...

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You don't have to change the MB, I've repaired a few of these. Normally, since they're surface mount jacks, I end up epoxying them to the board and sky-wiring them, but the key part is you don't have to spend hundreds on a new MB for the laptop. :D

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/326690

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice