Power problem

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

hellostranger

hello, I have an emachine 2646 for my grandchildren, I think the power switch may be broken. The computer won't power up, but the power on light is on, it won't shut down. Message reads on monitor,"check pc cables" have unplugged all cables, test with and without cables, still unable to power up or off. I was told to try a new power supply, and I'm waiting on delivery, any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Hellostranger

Make sure there is nothing wrong inside the PC. There may be loose wiring or something. If it under the Emachines warranty send it in for a check. It should be free. Please tell me what happens.

If it's just the power supply, consider yourself lucky.

About 80%+ of all the eMachines I get in for service that have a bad power supply have also taken out the motherboard.

The machine most likely has a Bestec power supply and they are notorious for taking out the board when they fail.

hellostranger

Thanks, I was told that the motherboad may have been taken out. I may just buy another computer depending on the cost of the parts.

Thanks again
Hellostranger

If the board is shot personally I don't believe the machine is worth repairing. By the time you figure the power supply, motherboard, operating system, labor, etc. you are about up to the cost (and maybe exceed the cost) of a new machine.

At times these failures only take out the power supply and the board, but I have also seen them damage the memory, hard drive and add in cards. For some unknown reason (unknown to me) I haven't observed any damaged processors, optical drives or floppy drives from these power supply failures.

Hey I have a Emachines T3092 and have never had these problems. So if you want to buy another Emachines I would suggest this one.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online