1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Power Problems again and again

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SoConfused04, Apr 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SoConfused04

SoConfused04 Thread Starter

I had a pretty new computer on and running when the power started flickering like crazy. Then it wouldn't turn on again so i figured i'd get a new case and new power box. I did and it stil did not work so i figured the mobo was fried so i bought a new one, hooked it up and it still does not work. I tested the plug and power cord for current (worked) and i checked the switch (worked). What is going on? Thanks for reading

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

When you say things don't work, or worked, can you explain better? Do you get beeps? Does the power supply power up? Do you have any video on the monitor?

3. SoConfused04

sorry, as in there was a reading on the volt meter...but this just in, there are 5 volts comming out of 2 sets of pins. all the other pins out of the power supply seem to be dead

4. SoConfused04

getting some voltage in other pins, but barely

5. ~Candy~

Well, I'm not the voltage guru here by any means, but, it sounds like the power supply needs to be replaced again. You have a load on the power supply correct? You aren't just turning it on and taking readings that way?

6. SoConfused04

The power supply was disconnected from the mobo and i took voltage readings from the connector on the power supply...the problem is, this psu is brand new. could it just be dead?

7. ~Candy~

I could be wrong, but I think you need to have a load on the power supply in order to ascertain a real reading. Please wait for other opinions.......

8. SoConfused04

9. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

AcaCandy is correct.

A PSU will need a minimum load before it will operate.
    The 5V you see will likely be the switch signal line which is always live.

10. Wet Chicken

Wet Chicken

You can buy a power supply tester at CompUSA for only 10 or 15 bucks ;)

It will put the proper load on the power supply and all you have to do is plug one plug in. If you need more info on it just let me know... ;)

11. ~Candy~

How about a link to that WC, I could use one ;)

12. Wet Chicken

Wet Chicken

OK I'll see if I can find it now for you Candy. A power supply tester is one of those things that most people will only use once or twice, but at under 20 bucks it sure is a life saver :D

Just wish it had free shipping ... :p

13. Wet Chicken

Wet Chicken

OK HERE it is :D

It has 7 LED's on it. If ALL seven light up then the power supply is working correctly. If one or more of the LED's do not light, then the supply needs to be replaced. Puts the correct amount of load on the supply for you. With this tester a job that could have taken hours to do, is done in less than a minute, and it's done the right way too :) Make life easy and pick one up today (sounds like a commercial :p ) (y) ;)

14. ~Candy~

Lol, I think I'm the neighborhood repair person, so it would probably be a good thing for me to have......Thanks, will have a look........not to worry about free shipping, I'll be in Vegas next month, so will just waltz across the street and pick one up :D

15. Wet Chicken

Wet Chicken

I thought Wonder Woman had the powers to fly ? :p :D ;)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/220861

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice