Power problems with computer

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

submess

I am trying to put together a computer, and it won't power up. The fan spins for about a second and then nothing. I've read another person's querry, but I have not been able to resolve the problem. I have bought a new power supply, with more wattage than what i had originally, but still the same problem. I have taken out the device cables, and still no power. Any suggestions or are in need of clarification, please respond. Thanks in advance,

Submess

Remove everything except processor, memory, vid card. Try starting it with a startup disk.

Reseat the processor and memory.

Try different memory

If you installed the motherboard, check that the stand offs and screws are not shorting to the case somewhere.

submess

Is it all right to take the heat sink off the CPU and then put it back on? Do i need to put new adheasive later when i put it back on?

thanks,
submess

Yes you can, Just reapply the thermal compound, if it's a little messy when you take it off you can use something like finger nail polish remover to remove it. Apply compound sparingly, only a thin layer, just enough to fill any voids between the cpu core and the heatsink, too much is just as bad as too little. I generally use the edge of a playing card to smooth it out. Makes sure you can't see any light between the cpu core and the heatsink, it should be a flush fit to cool properly.

double check all your jumpers and make sure the clear cmos jumper is set properly. A lot of boards ship with it in the clear position and it needs to be moved. Check your motherboard documentation

i had a problem like that and never could get it to work.. so i took it to some place to fix it.. all he did was shove the processor in..... so make sure everythin is pushed in all tha way ~ good luck

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online