power question

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

FrankSinatra

hi,

my computer was unplugged on accident (in a power-outagge) and my battery backup kept it up and running but I never knew I had to shut it down because I was sound asleep. Will this affect my computer's performance? :( :(

FrankSinatra

if you are going to post retarded questions like that and not anwser the question, then don't post at all. :)

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Normally, an abrupt shutdown won't seriously damage anything, but it's possible. If an application was actively updating file(s), you may have an issue with those specific files. Normally, if the system is sitting idle, a sudden power off is pretty benign.

Is your UPS connected properly to the system to allow it to shutdown when the battery gets low? If so, you shouldn't have any issue. If it's not, why not connect it properly?

FrankSinatra

my backup does not automatically shut down the computer, since there is not any kind of I/O ports on it. It is pretty basic, and will keep my system alive for about an extra 180 seconds [3mins] at tops, which isn't bad for a marginal battery powering a 468W computer and 21" high def moniter. I am thinking about getting a very large one that will last for 90 somethign minutes so I can keep on doing whatever I want while the power is out.

DaveBurnett

Account Closed
The whole point of a home backup power supply is to give you just enough time to power the machine down gracefully. They are not intended, and should not be used to keep working.

FrankSinatra

there was a mega one a costco that was designed to do that :) (that is what I was talking about)

mine is fine the only problem is that if I am outside at all and the power goes out, it will take me a second to notice it and by that time it will be too late for my battery to last any longer.......

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
A UPS that would keep a computer and display running for 90 minutes is going to be an expensive beast. I have a CyberPower 1250VA UPS on this system and my router and network switches. As you can see, it's supplying a measured 247 watts, and would keep the system running 18 minutes.

Attachments

FrankSinatra

it is only $189.99 and meets the power marks for my computer...maybe I'm wrong I'll have to double check.

MMJ

FrankSinatra said:
if you are going to post retarded questions like that and not anwser the question, then don't post at all. :)
You seem to be holding a grudge. ;)

There is only a really small chance that that would affect your computers performance. Not much a format can't fix.

Also why is this in the Vista forum?

davehc

Retired Trusted Advisor
First Name
David
When I look through Frank's posts - It is probably because he is running Vista. Moot point but he could possibly have posted under another section. I don't see a grudge there - your first answer,he probably took as being a mite unhelpful and took momentary umbrage - It happens.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
MMJ said:
You seem to be holding a grudge. ;)

There is only a really small chance that that would affect your computers performance. Not much a format can't fix.

Also why is this in the Vista forum?
Let's keep it on topic, please don't post just to start a debate. :(

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online