1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

power rating?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by wunderfly, Oct 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wunderfly

wunderfly Thread Starter

how do I check to see that I have a high enough power rating to support all of my components?

2. wunderfly

wunderfly Thread Starter

3. zeddy

zeddy

Remember its not just the wattage its the power output ampage and voltage on each of the rails.

4. wunderfly

wunderfly Thread Starter

btw P3 1Ghz, 786 RAM win 2000 Pro

I bought my computer as is, except that I changed the hd from a 40 gig to an 80 gig. and I've had to replace the cd burner. would a ****** power source screw up a hd and cd burner? and if the problem is the power source, wouldnt I have problems running the computer at all?

I can run office, photoshop... but no games. crashes almost right away. also cant run VJ software.

I was getting blue screens a lot... thought it was a windows problem... but havent got one in a while.

someone told me that VIA chips were crap... could be the board...

I'm totally lost at this point I've been having these problems for so long...

5. rockinmale

rockinmale

To plainly answer your question.....Yes it can.

A L cheapo power supply can cause premature hardware failure. As they say you get what you paid for.....An unstable failing psu can also cause instability in the operating system. Which can cause random crashes as well as bsod's (blue screen of death).

As for your power supply
    I would recommend at the very least a 350Watt power supply. A 300watt would work, but you dont want to push it too close to the 300 watt max. That would cause the power supply to be overworked. This over time would cause the psu to prematurely burn out and may take other hardware with it. You always want to buy a higher output psu that will allow you to addon more drives, cards, etc without bringing it close to the maximum output.

FYI: If you buy a 400 watt power supply and your system only uses say 325. The power supply only uses what is needed. So it will only output 325 watts not 400 watts.

Good quality power supplies are made by antec, enermax, and fortran. There are others, but im just giving you the top 3.

Also run a memory test on your ram. You could have a bad stick and dont know it.
    Here's a link....
    http://www.simmtester.com

Another thing.......Have you tried to start over and clean install windows 2k?

As for the via drivers. goto this link and download the 4 in 1 drivers.... http://www.viaarena.com/?PageID=2

I hope this helps....
    Any other questions feel free to post back!
    Good luck!
    TC
    rockinmale:cool:

6. wunderfly

wunderfly Thread Starter

thanks rockinmale :)

the sim tester was a good idea... but doesnt work. installed and made a boot disk but on boot is says "NTLDR missing"... I guess that means it doesnt work with 2k.

...since u seem to be listening, I'll tell my sad story...

at this point, I'm convinced I bought a box of junk parts. when I bought this computer 2 years ago from MDG it was cracking up and giving me BIOS screens within the first 2 months. I took it in and they told me it was the power source. I dont know if they actually replaced it or what, but the problem never really went away. it's way too late to try and take it back.

saying I bought the computer as is isnt really true considering it came with ME, I installed 2k. I have done a fresh install on a partition, tried again recently but crashed with bsod's in the middle of install repeatedly. I added extra RAM also, it only came with 256.

I cant even start to list everything I've tried to fix this piece of crap. Even took it apart and cleaned it (a few times)... it'll work ok for a couple weeks and then it's BIOS screen or bsod's again. I've never, ever, had problems like this with any computer I've worked with. I have a 5 yo P1 sitting next to it that works perfectly.

anyhow... my next attempt will be to buy a new case with a 400W power supply. and just start over. any links on building a pc for dummiez you can suggest?

thanks
    pet

7. rockinmale

rockinmale

Hi wunderfly!

I know why simmtester didnt work for you. The 1.45 version you downloaded isnt compatible with windows 2k.

Go back to the simmtester site. Unfortunately you have to register in order to receive the updated version of 2.0. That should take care of that problem and you should be able to run the test. Do the burn in test and let it run for a few hours or let it run all night while you sleep. If it fails one of the tests.

Since you have more than one memory module. You will need to only use one stick at a time and run the test again to find out which one is bad. It's tedious but its effective.

As for you power supply.....
    Have you ever replaced it?
    Can you give me the maker and the max watt output.

I'll do my darnest to help.....Hopefully, everyone here can help resolve your problem and you can go onto happy computing once again.:D

8. compilerxp

compilerxp

A P-III setup doesn't require the juice of a P4 or AMD systems to today.

You can buy a junky 420watt PSU (thats really a 180watt) that will die on you in weeks... but in many PIII setups, the PSUs are 70~150watts for small systems... 250watt is fine for standard size ATX.

Unless your system is doing something weird - don't worry about. Going from 40 to 80mb on the HD isn't going to add any load.

9. hewee

hewee

10. wunderfly

wunderfly Thread Starter

so...

I've got a "DAINTY Technology Switching Power Supply" with "Output: 250W"

it sounds like crap to me so I figure it's crap, right?

so I took the CD/DVD ROM out thinking I'd reduce the power requirements.

have the HD Pri Slave and the CDRW Secondary Master

after the device listing it says "No Operating System"

uhm... now what?? :confused:

11. wunderfly

wunderfly Thread Starter

I've downloaded the 45 win2k boot disks... HD seems to be ok... dont kno what happened to the OS.

piece of junk I tell ya

12. rockinmale

rockinmale

Hi wunderfly!

Yes, you have a problem. The hard drive is connected incorrectly. The hard drive needs to be on the primary master of first ide connector. If you set the jumpers to slave the drive will not boot to windows.

You need to set the jumper back to master and place it back on the first ide connector. Then your system will be able to boot once again.

As for your power supply i would replace it. It's a cheap power supply. If you go back to my post near the beginning. I listed what brand of power supplies to purchase.

If you need any help in selecting a PSU just let us know.

TC
    rockinmale:cool:

13. hewee

hewee

Why is it on so PS that your see the watts like this?

Enermax EF 651-VE (FCA) 651W ATX Power Supply
    500W Power Supply :
    Outpost #: 2837374
    Enermax EF 651-VE (FCA) 651W ATX Power Supply

http://shop1.outpost.com/product/2837374

How many watts is it 500 or 651?

14. wunderfly

wunderfly Thread Starter

ok I'll try that. thanks again rockinmale.

and yeh... as soon as I can afford it, I'm replacing the whole damn box. and I'll need all the help I can get ;) thanks

15. wunderfly

wunderfly Thread Starter

with HD as Primary Master... HD not seen at all by BIOS (it is on Auto) "Boot Disk Failure, Insert System disk"

with HD as Primary Slave... HD is seen. but doesnt boot. "No Operating System"

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/169178

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice