1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Power requirments for XFX 8800GT

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by afgextreme, Nov 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. afgextreme

afgextreme Thread Starter

Hey people do you think an Asus 550 WATT power supply is good enough to power up 2 x XFX 8800GT in SLI ? or will it be good enough just for one?
    would appreciate your answers

thanks

2. Rich-M

Rich-M

I have never seen one of these require more than that, however the card should tell you it's minimum requirements somewhere.

3. win2kpro

win2kpro

Video card manufacturers like to keep the power requirements for their cards a big secret. The only place I can ever find any requirements for nVidia cards is at the eVGA site. This is what they had posted as the requirements for the e-GeForce 8800GT 512MB.

Requirements
    Minimum of a 400 Watt power supply.
    (Minimum recommended power supply with +12 Volt current rating of 22 Amp Amps.)
    Minimum 450 Watt for SLI mode system.
    (Minimum recommended power supply with +12 Volt current rating of 24 Amp Amps.)

The only Asus 550 watt power supply I could find listed at Newegg was the Asus Atlas A-55GA ATX12V 2.01. I don't know if this is the power supply you have or not, but if it is the specs at Newegg indicate it has 18A on both the +12v1 and +12v2 rails.

If a power supply is wired to ATX standards, the +12v2 rail should not be a factor in determining available power for system components since the +12v2 rail is SUPPOSED to be reserved to power only the processor.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/648901

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice