1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Power save modes disabled after playing video

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by bahnzo, Jan 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bahnzo

bahnzo Thread Starter

This is something that has caused me problems for some time now, and google searches have turned up no answers....

I have my monitor set to turn off after 5 mins of inactivity, but playing any video whether it's something like YouTube, or just a file on my computer causes the power saving mode to never engage. If I go into the settings and reset the mode, then it will again work..that is until I play a video again.

Any ideas? It's a minor pain that I've dealt with for some time now, but finally I'm tired of it not working. I have all updates installed, and this problem has even carried over to a completely new system with a fresh install.

2. JennyJackson01

JennyJackson01 Account Closed

Surely if you`re running a YouTube video, the monitor is active and therefore the saver mode won`t kick in ... or have I missed something.

Regards
    Jenny

3. bahnzo

bahnzo Thread Starter

Right, the problem is that after I finish playing a video, the power saving mode never activates. Maybe I should've made that clearer. It's as if the video playback (correctly) disabled power saving mode, but once playback is finished, it's never re-enabled.

4. JennyJackson01

JennyJackson01 Account Closed

Sorry, I didn`t realize that straight away. I`m not sure now but I`ll be watching for another member to hopefully answer it for you.

Jenny

5. bahnzo

bahnzo Thread Starter

Bump?

6. Irukku

Irukku

Most video player programs actually disable the monitor power saving mode (tadaaaa :p), but in your case it is probably Adobe Flash Player that's simulating user activity. Check your task manager for a process called 'plugin-container', sometimes our friend gets stuck in there even after a playback is finished (and sometimes I've seen it hang in there even with firefox closed!!). If you try re-enabling power save mode will it work? I don't believe there's a setting or something that can get your monitor to shutdown while flash is running.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/972063

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice