1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Power saver, recommendation for hard drives

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Edmond4, Sep 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Edmond4

Edmond4 Thread Starter

I want to do what is best for hard drives. I have 3 on my computer and want to keep them from wearing out, prolonging them for the longest time.

What would someone recommend? Do I want to have the hard drives turn off? I think I'ver heard this is not a wise thing, as spinning up to speed and stopping over and over takes it's toll on them. Some talk about the Mac computer and how it goes to sleep mode, slowing hard drives, but not totally stopping them.

What can I do for my computer running Win 98? I'd love to hear any ideas. Do I want to set up the power manager in the basic setup in the BIOS, or the setup option when the computer just starts booting up?

2. Tumbleweed36

Tumbleweed36

Hi,

Just wanted to say that I think you are worried too much. The wear on them while they are at rest while your computer is "at rest" is minimal at best. Turning them on and off is much harder on them than trying to save them by doing what you are talking about. Relax and enjoy your computer....a good hard drive lasts a long time without problems if used normally.

3. Edmond4

Edmond4 Thread Starter

So the starting them up and turning them off is bad, right? That is what they are currently doing. It might be doing this at the basic BIOS level, as I disabled the power scheme today that was said to turn them off.

4. Tumbleweed36

Tumbleweed36

Hi,

My personal opinion is that it does not make that much difference with them. Bad for them??? I don't necessarily thnk so. I doubt ether way you will see any difference in life or usage except to save a little power (very little) along the way. Hey, give it a try and see what happens. I would have no problem with either setup, but just would not bother to do that because they hard drives of today are pretty darn good and should not wear out that quickly.

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Start, Shutdown, Turnoff

If you do that once, and never turn the computer on, they'll last a long time. :D

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/276256

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice