1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Power saving mode on boot

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by PaddyOFurniture, Jan 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. PaddyOFurniture

PaddyOFurniture Thread Starter

Hello,

My monitor goes into power saving mode on boot. I've tried to determine what the problem is but have been unsuccessful at narrowing the faulty component down.

Specs:
    Intel Core i5 3570K at stock speed
    MSI Z77 G45A Motherboard
    Mushkin 8 GB (4GB x 2) RAM
    XFX R9 390 GPU (bought in 2016)
    Dell U2414M 1920 x 1200 monitor
    Corsair TX650W PSU
    Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD (bought in 2016)
    Western Digital Black 1TB HDD
    Windows 7 64-bit (Fresh install on the SSD a few months ago)

When I start the computer the monitor usually says 'Power save mode' for a few moments and then goes blank. Pressing the monitor's buttons shows the message 'There is no signal from your computer. Try moving the mouse or pressing a keyboard key to ...'

Here is what I have tried to figure out what's wrong:

1. Plugged monitor into onboard GPU.
    2. Used VGA cable instead of DVI.
    3. Used a single stick of RAM. When I tried to use a stick in one of the slots, it gave me the 'memory has been changed' message and I went into BIOS to enable XMP. This has only happened once. I couldn't get the PC to recreate this. Rebooting after this caused it to again go into power saving mode. Also, when I try to dual-channel the RAM in slots 1 and 3, the computer keeps rebooting after a few seconds.
    4. Moved the GPU into another PCI-E slot.
    5. Cleared CMOS by pressing the button on the I/O shield.
    6. Removed motherboard battery for more than 10 minutes.
    7. Unplugged the computer from the wall and surge protector and held down the power button for about 30 seconds.
    8. Took apart my computer and reassembled the entire PC from scratch.

I currently have my monitor plugged into my laptop using a VGA cable and it's working fine. When I start up the PC, the LEDs on the motherboard light up, so I think the PSU is working fine. The optical drive gets power, too. When I try to boot the PC without any RAM, I get 3 beeps. It's unliekly that the cause could be the GPU, because I bought it a few months ago after I got a refund on a dead MSI 7950. Haven't had any video issues since getting the R9 390. I'm thinking it's an issue with my RAM, but the infinite reboot in dual-channel mode has me worried it might be my motherboard.

I do not have any spare parts lying around to help test things.

Thanks for any help!

Last edited: Jan 15, 2017
  2. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    Plug the monitor into the computer with the VGA cable and boot into safe mode. Does the monitor show the enlarged desktop?

What is the brand and model of monitor?
    I'm not clear, did the monitor ever work on the computer? If so, when did the power saving mode appear?

3. PaddyOFurniture

The computer does not seem to POST regardless of the type of cable I use. All I see when I turn it on is the 'Entering power save mode' message.

The monitor is a Dell U2412M.

I bought the monitor in 2012 and it's worked perfectly since then. In fact, as I type this reply, it its connected to my laptop and working fine. The power saving mode first appeared a couple of days ago. I figured it was caused by some loose wiring, so I plugged everything in tightly. That fixed it 2 days ago. Since yesterday, however, the computer just won't POST.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2017
  4. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    The fact that it doesn't post either in safe mode or normal mode and the monitor gets no signal, probably means that something has happened to your onboard video chip or video card.
    You know the monitor works.

If you installed a video card, and the computer has a video chip, remove the card and plug the monitor into the onboard video.

If the board has no card, then you'll either have to borrow or buy a compatible card to get a display.

5. PaddyOFurniture

I tried this. I removed the GPU completely, power cables and all, and plugged the monitor into the onboard graphics. Still the same message. If it was the video card, the onboard graphics would at least take me to the BIOS, so I'm almost certain that my video card is fine.

By the way, a few months ago, my computer would randomly reboot during normal usage. At first I thought it was a RAM issue and moved the sticks into different slots. That fixed it for a few days, but then it refused to start up altogether. I thought it was a HDD issue and ended up getting an SSD. Everything worked after that until this no signal issue popped up. Does this sound like a RAM issue or a motherboard issue?

6. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    Are you sure that both the onboard and the video card are not bad? (I know it seems impossible and yet things like that do happen).
    1. The monitor is fine yet you never see any display.
    2. The computer does not post.

I have no idea. Without a display and no post, it is impossible to guess what is happening.

7. PaddyOFurniture

I'm fairly certain that the video card is not the issue. I wish I had a way to plug it into another PC to test it. Even if it turns out to be the issue, it's a registered XFX card with a lifetime warranty, so I can always get it replaced. The motherboard is out of warranty, but I can RMA the RAM(it's a Mushkin Blackline). I don't know if they even have replacement DDR3s available anymore.

I think it's a RAM issue. In my original post, I mentioned that when I was troubleshooting the no signal issue with one stick of RAM, it actually recognized that the RAM settings and amount had changed and prompted me to go into BIOS and set it up again. I read that booting a PC with no RAM causes it to not POST. When I try to do this, I get 3 beeps from the motherboard speaker. I think that means that the motherboard recognizes the lack of RAM and that the DIMM slots are not faulty.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1183890

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice