1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

power savings enable?!?!?!?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by pbguru, Sep 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pbguru

pbguru Thread Starter

system specs: amd 2500+, 512 mb DDR Ram, Geforce 4 MX integrated GPU (32 mb shared), just got it so all the drivers are new

its frustrating the hell outta me...whenever i try to play medal of honor: allied assualt, or rainbow six 3, i get maybe 10 seconds of playing time before the comp goes into like a sleep mode. nothing works, and i have to hit the reset button on the front of the case. arg!

i turned off all the power saving stuff i could find (XP and BIOS) but maybe ive missed something hidden away...am i gonna just have to break down and buy a new card(geforce 4 ultra, 128 ram)???

*in need of help before Halo PC comes out!!!*

2. McTimson

McTimson

Happy birthday :)

Have you looked into the computer overheating? Try running it with the side of the case off, and maybe even point a fan towards it, to help cool it.

Also, what is your power supply rated at? It may not have enough power for the entire system.

3. pbguru

pbguru Thread Starter

well its a 400 watt power supply, and i figured itd take longer that 10 seconds for it to heat up... and i just took the side of the tower off so we'll see...*crosses fingers*

for some reason i dont think its overheating, cause ive left it on overnight with no problems. it only happens when i try to run certain games (except homeworld, which is working awesome with max details).

4. McTimson

McTimson

Well it might be overheating because the games are putting more stress on the components, which makes them produce more heat....when it's idle, like it is overnight, it's not doing much, so it doesn't make as much heat.

5. pbguru

pbguru Thread Starter

ok i tried it with no cover but it still sleeps...and what i meant was that it'll do this even if its the first program i access after startup (so the comp has been on less than like a minute)...should i just get a new card?

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/167476

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice