1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Power Setting on Gateway

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Dan Mc, Mar 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Dan Mc

Dan Mc Thread Starter

Have a Gateway P III, 1 Ghz...need to know how to set the power management settings so I can turn the PC on and off via a surge protector panel instead of on the PC itself...thanks.

2. rugrat

rugrat

Dan,
    No real way to do that as the system will always just assume you lost power. The only correct way is to shut down the operating system first then you can turn off all other power at the power strip.

SeeYa

3. Dan Mc

Dan Mc Thread Starter

Actually, I had it set up to turn off only at the protector, but formatted and reinstalled recently and can;t get that feature set back up.

4. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

So, you are saying you flipped the surge protector off switch and the computer did a normal shutdown somehow????

5. Dan Mc

Dan Mc Thread Starter

No...I'd use the windows key, "U", Enter (or mouse it) and then he PC would shut off. When I wanted to start up, I'd just hit the surge switch and the power supply would start, and Windows load as normal...just a power to PC thing...dunno what the settings are in Power Management (Win98SE)

How's the crevesa there t'day? ;-)

6. ~Candy~

Cerveza always fria :)

Then I'm wondering if you have to do something to set up the short cut key?

7. Dan Mc

Dan Mc Thread Starter

Don't recall doin' anything like that before.....

8. ~Candy~

Hmmm....well, no other questions or ideas from me, perhaps someone else will come along ;) Going to call it a night, have a good one :)

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/209542

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice