1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Power shuts off randomly, and any movement around computer shuts it off

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by basketballer2590, Nov 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. basketballer2590

basketballer2590 Thread Starter

So this time the problem started out as a simple issue. Whenever I bump the desk or move the keyboard out with too much force, the computer shuts off. Everybody told me that it could have been a loose connection so I checked it all and replugged everything back in. The computer starting working fine for about 5 hours then it just shut off randomly while I was playing a game. This time, though, it shut off without me bumping into anything. SO, is this a power supply issue? I'm using a 550-watt supply while running a 7800 GT. This is the right power amount so that's not my concern. And now the problem has gotten worse to the point where I turn on the computer and nothing shows up again. Windows doesn't load and the screen is on too. You here the fans and everything but nothing will load. All my parts from my old issue were replaced EXCEPT the power supply and CD-drive. I don't think it could be another loose connection b/c now nothing even shows up. Please help!!! :)

2. ckphilli

ckphilli

Have you tried plugging into a different surge protector and different outlet?

Sounds like you need to swap the power supply to me.

3. midnight51

midnight51 Banned

Sounds like a power short or your motherboard is not grounded properly on the case.

Unplug everything that uses power and take out all added cards EXCEPT your video card and turn the PC on. Try bumping it around a bit and see if it reboots. If that doesn't work and you're savvy enough you can try taking the motherboard out of the case and do the same test. However if scenario 1 works first plug each device in one at a time and do a boot to see if you can recreate the power failure so you can narrow down the culprit.

Good luck
    Josh

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/653308

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice