1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Power Supply Acting Mysterious To Start Up

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by armly, May 7, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. armly

armly Thread Starter

Have a power supply that most of the time powers on when push-bottoned.

Sometimes doesn't however. And I have toggle the main switch on the rear, the power supply itself, to reset.

Sometimes after doing this it will start all by itself. Sometimes I have to hit the pushbutton again.

It may take a couple times...

CMOS battery I'm guessing is okay - settings seem to be holding. Think I did it maybe three years back.

Hoping to not have to do the power supply again it is so tight to work in. (Antec case ).

2. lynx1021

lynx1021

It does sound like your supply is having issues, the best test is to open the case and hook a spare power supply and hook it up to the board from out side the case and see if it does the same thing. Another thing to try is to open up the case and unplug and re-plug all the power connectors to the board.

3. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    If using the power button on the back of the power supply resolves the issue, the power supply is faulty. I've seen this2 or 3 times over the years, and it was the power supply each time.

lynx1021 likes this.
  4. armly

armly Thread Starter

Thanks much for the replies.

A while back on startup the system would intermittently go into bios. Requesting that I re-save changes before starting windows.

It was asking that I do this when the all the shutdowns seemed normal. Sometimes asking this several times before windows may start.

Lately it has not been doing this when acting up.

So I don't know if replacing CMOS battery will do anything. Keeps the correct time. (I had suspect it was CMOS battery when requesting bios resaves)

I really don't think its the board, which is an Asus z87 barracuda, with dust caps. Seems pretty heavy duty but I know anything can fail when it comes to pc's.

Ghost in the machine has been off-on-ing probably for six months now, with no further degradation. Although I noticed windows "history" of sites disappeared the other day. - Does history rely on bios? Could bios battery still be the issue even if it requires the back button?

In the past, my power supplies on pc's would shut off the machine when they were dying.

5. armly

armly Thread Starter

Just replaced the power cable - nada.

Sure looks like power unit.

While this may sound lazy - you may not think so if you saw how compact my build was - does the cabling leading to internal components really take wear?

Does it really matter if I keep all cabling in place and only swap out the power supply itself?

6. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    The BIOS settings issue can typically be resolved by replacing the CMOS battery.

Cabling shouldn't be an issue unless it's rubbing on something, is getting crimpled/crushed, or is being sharply bent.

Nothing needs to be removed except the power supply, and/or any hardware which make the process easier. If you can keep everything in place while replacing the power supply, then that is totally fine.

7. armly

armly Thread Starter

Just now I switched the chord back, and it brought me back to bios. Checked bios settings that seemed normal.

Cycled about 5 times before windows 7 start.

8. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    I would fit a new Cmos battery, costs about £1. If that doesn't help then like with the others I think it's probably a failing PSU.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1226823

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice