1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Power supply and board compatibility help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by piloteer, Sep 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. piloteer

piloteer Thread Starter

I have an Intel D865 Perl Board witha P4 proc.. Needed to replace power supply.
    Got an Antec SP 500 watt unit. Noticed the processor power connector has different color wires from the old unit. The connector from the old unit has two yellow and two black. The new unit has one each yellow, orange, red and black wires. Need to know if anyone is familiar with the SP 500 supply why the difference. I don't intend to use it util I'm sure.
    This is the first time I've seen this on a power supply. :confused:

2. win2kpro

win2kpro

Are you sure you are not looking at the breakaway portion of the 24 pin main connector?

3. piloteer

piloteer Thread Starter

The break away connector has been removed inorder to fit the 20 pin connector.
    Anyway I sounded out the connectors and here's the story. The different colors R, Y, & O
    are the 5v, 12, and 3.3 v lines. The old supply has only the yellow 12 v line for the P4 micro.
    So I took note of the plug orientation on the board and found the plug would fit ok with the 0ne yellow wire and ground going to the correct pins. Now if I cut the red and orange wires from the PS that should work fine. I sent an e-mail to Antec support but will call them any way. The 2nd issue with the PS harness is that they run it through a fishnet mesh for neatness. So that the power plug to board is far too short to reach the socket on the other side of the processor. This was easily modified by cutting the shrink sleeve around the upper and lower end of the cable and snaking the plug through the mesh.
    This most definitely a well thought out and engineered power supply.
    piloteer :)

4. win2kpro

win2kpro

Is this a modular power supply. I have the SP 500 and it is modular. The 4 pin breakaway from the 24 pin is 12V, 5V, 3.3V and Ground. This is for supporting PCI-e video cards on a 24 pin ATX connector. You should have a 4 pin 12V auxiliary plug which is 2-12V pins and 2-Grounds (2 yellow and 2 black).

5. piloteer

piloteer Thread Starter

Yes there is!! I found it before I checked in again! If I looked at the harness a little closer I would have found before going through all the effort to remove it from the mesh.
    Didn't cut the wires on the wrong plug yet so it's intact.

"It's too bad ignorance isn't painful!"
    However, Stupidity is I should know better after building many, many systems over the years.

Thankyou very much Win2KPro(y) :)

piloteer

6. win2kpro

win2kpro

I just looked at my set up. The +12V aux is tie wrapped to the main connector bundle. It has a yellow, yellow and black and 2 black wires + a small blue wire and a small black wire for a sensor.

I don't know what case you are using, but i'm using exactly the same board and power supply in an Antex TX1050B case (full tower/server) and I have no problem reaching the +12V aux receptacle on the board.

7. win2kpro

win2kpro

Ok, glad you got it straightened out.

8. piloteer

piloteer Thread Starter

This ps has two black and two yellow with black stripe. Thanks

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/504095

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice