1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

power supply and graphics card upgrade

Discussion in 'Games' started by cscaffidi, Mar 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cscaffidi

cscaffidi Thread Starter

ok - so i'm looking at the rosewill rp500-2 atx12v v2.01 for 60$ on newegg simply because i searched by "best reviews" and it came up as the 1st 500w supply but how do i know if it will fit in my case? are power supplys pretty much standard size?

also i'm looking at the gecube radeon hd 2600pro 512mb agp (93$ newegg) also because of its' high reviews for a agp card which is apparently what i need. it calls for 400w and my system has 235w, hence the rosewill.

any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated...thanks.

here is what i am working with...(note the geforce 200mx card...just not cutting it!)

Model COMPAQ PRESARIO 6024US
    Compaq P/N : 470033-291
    Standard Features
    Dimensions & Weights
    (L x W x H) Unit: 16.55" x 6.88" x 14.5" (23.8 lbs)
    Package: 23.20" x 13.0" x 23.50" (37.9 lbs)
    Processor Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor - 1800 MHz (1.8GHz)
    System Bus 400 MHz System Bus
    Cache 12K micro-op trace cache
    8KB L1 Advanced Transfer Cache
    256KB L2 Advanced Transfer Cache
    System Memory 512MB 266MHz DDR DRAM
    2 Total DIMM Slots Upgradeable to 1.0GB (DDR DRAM DIMM required)
    Hard Drive 80.0 GB UltraDMA Hard Drive
    Optical Drive(s) 16X DVD-ROM Drive
    24X CD-RW Drive
    Communications 56K ITU V.90 Modem and Integrated 10/100 Ethernet Networking
    Diskette Drive 3.5" 1.44 MB Diskette drive
    Graphics 64MB SDR NVIDIA™ GeForce2™ MX200 W/TV-Out Graphics Card:
    64-bit hardware-accelerated 3D graphics
    Compaq DVD Player/Navigator
    Video Player (AVI, MPEG2 and others)
    Plug-and-Play
    Power Supply Steady-state 235 watts
    Drive Bays One (1) 3.5" internal for hard drive
    One (1) 3.5" external for 1.44 MB diskette drive
    One (1) 3.5" external open for expansion
    Two (2) 5.25" external for optical drives

Expansion Slots One (1) PCI slot with modem installed
    One (1) 4X AGP slot with graphics card installed
    Two (2) PCI slots open for expansion

I/O Interfaces Four (4) USB ports (2 front, 2 back)
    Two (2) Serial RS-232C compatible, DB9 connector (16550) (2 rear)
    One (1) Parallel EPP/ECP standard centronics-compatible interface (DB + B3225 connector) (1 rear)

Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition

2. gaftop1

gaftop1

what games are you wanting to play?

3. cscaffidi

cscaffidi Thread Starter

not a real serious gamer but i can't even let my son play pirates of caribbean on line with geforce 200mx, simple on line games from sites llike arcadetwon sometimes have issues. i like role player stuff but nothing too intense

4. alwrmc

alwrmc

First Name:
    B.L.
    Most PSU are of a "standard" size. However, not all are! Some older computers use an unusual size and some of the newer and really extreme units are a bit larger than normal. I just reformatted a computer for a guy and it was a really old desktop. The PSU did not even have a metal case. It was mounted on a soft of U-shaped tray. Still it was a standard size and I attempted to replace it with an old PSU that I had available. I was unable to do that as the MOBO connection was also not standard. Amazingly however, Windows XP picked up every device installed and all I had to do was update a couple of drivers.

5. gaftop1

gaftop1

the psu should fit.
    the card is a bit of overkill for the computer you have but will work and the price is right. i'd add another 512 mb of ram or more if it will take it.

6. cscaffidi

cscaffidi Thread Starter

thanks gaftop1. my profile shows that i can go up to 1.0gb ddr dram dimm so i'll look into it. i contacted hp chat support and they told me hp does not produce a power supply upgrade for my computer because it is too old although i think its only from 2001-2002. they wanted to sell me a new unit and told me to look into the 6000 or 8000 series hps but i don't want to dump 600 to 1000$ right now. what are your thoughts? am i wasting money by putting a couple of hundred $ into a presario 6024 with xp home? remember im not a real serious gamer but the geforce 200mx just isn't cutting it. otherwise im just surfing, email, ebay, photos, spreadsheet, power pt, word doc, kids homework, online disney and nic-kids type stuff. the unit is a little slow but nothing worth getting annoyed over. thanks...cs

7. gaftop1

gaftop1

personally i'd take the 160 or so you were going to spend upgrading the old computer and save up until you can get another computer.
    if you just want to play online games i'd just get an older vid card like an fx 5500 nvidia card or something similar (can handle pirates of the caribbean) that will handle dx9 and can use your existing power supply. the card is probably around $40 0r $50 but doesn't use a lot of power newegg or zip zoom fly should have it. both companies are honest. and quick delivery
    http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=321119&prodlist=celebros
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130207
    as you can probably tell i'm partial to nvidia. don't think you can go much higher in the fx series with the psu you have.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/696083

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice