Power Supply and Motherboard Compatability

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

kbaskin52

I just purchased a GA-Z170X-Ultra Gaming Motherboard and I'm trying to use an old dell power supply(the exact one as you see here) to power it. The output max for my power supply is 305W, will that be enough to power up my motherboard and cpu? I've been trying to get it to work and I don't know what the problem is. I know the psu works but my motherboard has an 8 pin power connector while my psu has a 4 pin connector. I've read online that it can still work but nothing turns on for me. Anything helps, thank you.

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
I cannot follow where you are at with this motherboard
On another topic you asked about ram and the board
https://forums.techguy.org/threads/ram-and-motherboard-compatibility.1202620/

an that was just yesterday, so have you actually built the system to the stage of now testing power up, as now you ask about the PSU and the board
However we do not know which processor you have bought.

As you are now asking about powering the system with your old Dell PSU may we presume you have bought the ram and CPU
If so which CPU. Presuming you are not trying to power the motherboard WITHOUT the CPU

The answer to your question is - the PSU is totally unsuitable for the board.
However please provide details of the system you have built and the stage you are at

kbaskin52

I've bought this cpu and I've put that along with the heat sink onto my motherboard. That is all so far. The RAM has not shipped in yet but I was planning on powering it up to see whether or not the power supply would be compatible.

Can I power up the board only with what I have installed, at least to get the fans running/leds on?

Additionally, I have a second older PSU that I was planning on using along with the Dell one by using an add2psu adapter to power my board which will be in tomorrow.

So far, I've tried to power up the board with the Dell PSU and the CPU and the PSU fan doesn't turn on. I have a few hypotheses:
1. The 305W PSU is not enought to power up my mobo
2. The 4 pin socket from the PSU is not compatible with the 8 pin socket on the motherboard
3. Without the RAM, my mobo will simply not be able to show any sign of life
4. The mobo is faulty
5. The 24 pin socket has a pin, specifically #17 that's supposed to be a ground, but there is no pin inside of the #17 socket, and this isn't allowing the power to get to the board

Thoughts? Thank you for your help so far.

ADDED: Could the pins on my power supply and my motherboard simply not be within the same range?

Last edited:

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
It will not post without ram
Is the board in the case
If not it will not even power on until you switch on the power, normally this would be the power button on the case
If it is not in the case you will have to
Use a small screwdriver to momentarily short the power switch connector on the motherboard.

I would advise from reading your posts to date, that you seek professional help, it may cost but it could well be cheaper than sending your new motherboard and or processor to the scrap bin.

Re this
The 24 pin socket has a pin, specifically #17 that's supposed to be a ground, but there is no pin inside of the #17 socket, and this isn't allowing the power to get to the board
I suspect you are looking at 20 on the 24 pin motherboard header
they are numbered 1 - 12 from the bottom left to top left
and 13 - 24 from bottom right to top right
READ the manual page 14

kbaskin52

I did read the manual, all of it, including page 14. I am talking about pin number 17 on the atx connector from the power supply, not the motherboard.

Thanks.

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
You said
The 24 pin socket has a pin, specifically #17 that's supposed to be a ground, but there is no pin inside of the #17 socket, and this isn't allowing the power to get to the board
It was therefore less than clear to which you referred
The motherboard header or the 24 pin connector from the PSU
That said you have not answered if the motherboard is in the case or if not - have you turned on the PSU as per my last post
Additionally to all of that
The answer to your question is - the PSU is totally unsuitable for the board.
Many Dell PSU`s have a non standard 24 pin - pin out arrangement

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online