1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Power Supply and VIdeo card Wats

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by vaikepois, Dec 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. vaikepois

vaikepois Thread Starter

Umm. I currently have 260W power supply and i use nvidia 8400gs video card (recommended minimum 300W power supply)

But i havent seen any problems

So i decided to buy

Nvidia 240GT (recommended min also 300W)

But since i havent had any problems so far with 8400gs though min req is 300W but i have 260W

BAsically

I shouldnt have problems with 240GT also right?

2. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

This is where I have a problem with video card manufacturers. They say "300 watt power supply required", which means nothing. They are assuming a "typical" PC with some undisclosed CPU, memory, hard drive and DVD drive configuration, and the video card. If you are lucky enough to talk with the right person at the card manufacturer, they will tell you the maximum current for +3.3V, +5V and +12V, and then you will know how many watts the card uses.

3. vaikepois

vaikepois Thread Starter

4. win2kpro

win2kpro

Your 1st post tells the story. You stated; "though min req is 300W". Read that for what its worth, the MINIMUM wattage is 300 watts. If you continue to run with a 260 watt power supply you are "stressing" the unit and it will eventually fail. When a power supply fails you may get lucky and the power supply will be the only component damaged. On the other hand I have seen power supply's fail and take out the motehrboard and other components.

5. vaikepois

vaikepois Thread Starter

well.. past 4 years with 8400gs i havent had any problems.. even though min wattage is 300 for 8400gs.. but since 240 gt mim is also 300W i shouldnt have any problems also right?

Or il have to get better power supply first D:?

And if il have to get better power supply how im suppose to search for right on?

If i dont have to and can use 240 gt..

Sorry for being confusing. but im confused also..

6. vaikepois

vaikepois Thread Starter

Oh and i have this pc http://uk.ts.fujitsu.com/rl/servicesupport/techsupport/ProfessionalPC/ESPRIMO/P/EsprimoP5905.htm

So if i need change power supply i would like some help. Cuz its really hard to find right on for my pc.

Anyways my pc added stuff are only memory (3gb total soon), harddrive (75gb only) And video card 8400gs (which i want to change)

Everything else is same as it is.

So i would be really grateful that if i need upgrade power supply first then could you(or somone else) help me finding a bit better power supply? (or requirements for searching right one) [Cuz i buy stuff from estonia anyways] so list of power supplies would be best so i could google search for power supplies that i can buy from my country.
    But yeah.

If confusing then in short - will i need new power supply? if yes then need list or requirements.

7. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    Hi and welcome to TSG.

Based on the info you have given I would say you have been fairly lucky so far. All power supplies degrade as they get older, so as they age their output reduces. You have a PSU you have been running for at least four years, probably close to its maximum capacity, it is highly unlikely it is actually capable of outputting 260w (probably couldn't when you first got it to be honest).

Personally I would look at up grading the power supplly to 400-450w and get decent make, something like Corsair, PC Power and Cooling, Seasonic, OCZ etc. It will cost you more but there is a difference in quality and the entire PC relies on that one component.

As Win2K has said, when a power supply goes it can (and often will) destroy other components, the common bits to get fried from a blown PSU are the motherboard and/or CPU.

8. hazybud1

hazybud1

id say get a new psu idk how you ran that for 4 years LOL..

you wouldnt want to fry your brand new gpu would you?

9. vaikepois

vaikepois Thread Starter

well.. since il need new power supply.. how il know which one will work on my pc??

How to search for power supplies that work on my pc? I need list or something (possibly in price list)

Or somone could check http://www.hinnavaatlus.ee/products/Arvutiriistvara/Toiteallikad/?&Order=MinPrice&Sort=0#results

And give me link of first one(cheapest) that will work on my computer for sure.

EDIT: I know its bothersome cuz there is large variety of PSU but i really would like to upgade my pc a bit for better video card. (after PSU and new video card i plan to collect money for new pc thats why i wanna possible cheap)

10. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
  11. win2kpro

win2kpro

Your machine is built as a workstation and therefore has limited upgradeability. The only thing I can tell you is to take accurate measurements of the power supply to determine if it is a standard form factor power supply or if it is manufacturer proprietary. You may be out of luck trying to find a suitable replacement.

12. vaikepois

vaikepois Thread Starter

Il try making some pictures/video about my case and its psu.

13. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

There are pictures of your PC in one of the links you posted above: http://uk.ts.fujitsu.com/rl/service...ssionalPC/ESPRIMO/P/EsprimoP5905.htm#graphics

From what I see the power supply is not a standard design, so I doubt you will find a higher wattage power supply that will fit.

You may be able to replace the case, but then need to determine if the existing motherboard is m-ATX, or if it also is not a standard form factor.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1029646

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice