power supply atx 2.0 any suggestions as to a power supply?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

jays_rule

Hey, i'm building a computer but i haven't realized that the power supply i need is an atx 2.0. What power supply should i get??

I was orignally looking at the Ultra X-connect but it doesn't support atx 2.0 Damn.

crjdriver

Do be careful; some of these are 20 pin connectors that come with an adapter for 24 pin. Make sure the ps you are buying has a real 24 pin atx plug. Using an adapter is just asking for problems.

crjdriver said:
Do be careful; some of these are 20 pin connectors that come with an adapter for 24 pin. Make sure the ps you are buying has a real 24 pin atx plug. Using an adapter is just asking for problems.
I use an adapter and I have no problems.

crjdriver

Sometimes they work if the ps is a very high quality unit. The way the adapter works is to split the existing 12V rail [the 24 pin has two 12V rails] This results in [generally] decreased amps available for the 12V rails. If the ps has a very high amp rating on the 12V rail [something like 28+] it MAY work. Many mb mfg state "Do not use an adapter" this is because of the reason stated above.

Basically they put 24 pins on the board for a reason; it needs it.

Thanks for the info. I didn't cheap out on my powersupply so that's probably why it's working.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts