1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Power supply burnout problems!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mack10series, Aug 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mack10series

mack10series Thread Starter

My buddy has recently gone through his third antec 500 watt power supplies burning out on him. He has an bfg nvidia 6200 video card, 2 optical drives, 2 parallel ATA hard drives, and 1 SATA hard drive. Is a 500 watt PS enough for his pc, or is it something else causing the power supplies to fail?

2. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

Without all the specs it sure sounds like 500 is more than enough. Is he buying quality brands or just lowest price? Also what kind of environment is this ran in? Cool room? Scorching heat? Little airflow because PC is backed up on a pile of clothes?

Also he has checked that the outlet/powerstrip isn't faulty right?

3. seekermeister

seekermeister

I have that PS and I did get a couple of bad ones, when I replaced and older version. However, my rig's configuration is very similar to your friend's, and the PS is more than adequate on my machine. I suspect that your friend has just been very unlucky.

4. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

Ohhh all 3 are antec? I think I woulda switched brands after 2 failures LOL

5. prunejuice

prunejuice

Most likely "poor" home wiring.

Is the wiring old?

Is it grounded?

6. mack10series

mack10series Thread Starter

i believe he keeps the pc well ventilated, he has at least one 120mm case fan and two smaller ones as well; as far as the brands, his hard drives are all maxtor, and the mobo is a MSI. I suggested ohm'ing out the outlet and strip, and also changing the ac cord. He plays microsoft Flight Sim a lot, and also burns dvds quite often. He says the power supply seems to get pretty warm when he is playing FS. We were looking at an OCZ 600watt, and some PC power and cooling ones yesterday, i might just suggest to go with a new PS...

7. onsite

onsite

he also might want to get a UPS , he may also want to check his power outlet for a hot ground or high impedence ground. I think it is something other than that, he also said he burned out DVDs ???

8. win2kpro

win2kpro

If it's the SP500, i've been running one for about 3 months now with zero problems. Lot's of good ratings for that model at Newegg. I'm just using it in my repair station test machine, but so far, so good.

9. prunejuice

prunejuice

Good ideas.

I'm thinking it's a home wiring problem, and no PS upgrade is going to solve it.

UPS is the best solution.

10. onsite

onsite

Most UPS have built in ground fault indicators that will tell you if your wiring is borked.
    They also have a filter for cat5 or rj11, not both , either one. They will also shut down your pc for you in an orderly maner if you are not there and the power goes out.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/488417

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice