1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Power supply cable for my graphics card

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Fatso666, Aug 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Fatso666

Fatso666 Thread Starter

So today my dad bought me a new graphics card (Geforce 6800gs AGP) and he installed it into my pc
    The card has a power supply cable supplied which needs to be plugged into the power source, however the normal cable colour for the power supply (red, black, and something else) is different to the cable colour for the graphics card (brown, black and the same something else)
    is this completely fine, and we can use it? or is there something i need <_<

2. Sherry22160

Sherry22160

That Grapgics Card should just plug in and away you go.
    Those cables might be the TV out Connectors in which case you leave them in the Pretty Box untill you need them....

3. Fatso666

Fatso666 Thread Starter

well it did plug and go, however, when we initially put it in and started up the pc, it said that it wasn't recieving sufficent power so it was running at reduced performance
    My dad had a 400 watt power supply at hand however which was the minimum needed for the graphics card, so he put that in, but it still had that message
    We assumed that we needed to use those cables because of this message

4. Fatso666

Fatso666 Thread Starter

that would be the case, and is what we did
    however when we booted up the pc, it said that the card wasn't recieving sufficent power and was running at a reduced performance
    My dad happened to have a 400 watt power source availble (the minimum for the card) so he put that in, but when we booted the pc up again, it displayed the same message, so we assumed that it needed to use the cables

5. Jones

Jones

First, if the card has a plug for extra power, it absolutely MUST be plugged in. And for that card, not only do you need a 400watt PSU, but it needs to be a good quality 400watt, and that means lots of amps.

There should be a sticker on the psu that lists the amps on each of the rails. What does the 12.v rail have for amps?

Crummy quality power supplies are notorious for causing probelms with nice components.

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You do need the power cable for that card. This is a typical card, that black connector on the right edge of the card accepts a 4 pin disk power connector. Your card should have a similar connector.

[​IMG]

7. Fatso666

Fatso666 Thread Starter

the +12v one is 18 amps
    We would plug in the the power cable, however the graphixa card's power cable is different so that the yellow wire goes to the yellow, black wire goes to black and the brown wire goes to black and the other one is blank :S

8. JohnWill

Are the connectors compatible with the disk connectors? It sounds like they're just not using the +5V, which would make sense.

9. Fatso666

Fatso666 Thread Starter

Yes they are, but the brown wire is in the black position, ie pin 3, not 4

10. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Well unless someone decided to play a mean trick on you and change the actual position of the wires then the cable will work and the color is irrelevent.

11. JohnWill

What does the connector on the video card look like? Doesn't it accept the P/S connector directly as the example I showed you does?

12. Fatso666

Fatso666 Thread Starter

the end that connects to the power supply is fine, however we meant the end the end that connects to the power source, it looks like this:
    [​IMG]

my dad thought that you don't need this cable because you usually use it with a PCI and not an AGP card

13. JohnWill

Both the brown and black wires are ground, and teh yellow one appears to be the 12V. Looks OK to me.

14. Fatso666

Fatso666 Thread Starter

why is the brown cable grounded? it should be black shouldn't it?

15. coorrel

coorrel

It's just how the molex plug was constructed, the middle 2 are ground and yellow is the +12v and if there's a red that's the +5v.

Plug in that power plug in the back of your card and see whether it's working or not... It should unless your PSU is craps out.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/490981

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice